Could not find this item

Old October 13th 07, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Erik Nettekoven

Default Could not find this item

Hi,

Recently I faced the same problem and I was wondering if you are still
unable to delete the folder. I finally succeeded in deleting the folders by
opening a command prompt, then used the dir /x command to get the 8.3 name of
the directory and then used the rd command with the 8.3 name of the
undeletable folder and it vanished!

--
Regards,

Erik
MCSE 2000/2003

"Tim" wrote:

Sorry, yes I checked... the folder I can't get rid of is NOT the rip to
folder in media player...

"dean-dean" wrote in message
In Windows Media Player Tools Options, on the Rip Music tab, is that
folder the location given for "Rip music to this location"? If so, can
you change the location?

"Tim" wrote in message
news
Thanks... yes and the command line comes back with the error: "invalid or
cannot find"... it's like it's not there... except that it is sighs

"R. C. White" wrote in message
Hi, Tim.

Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails

You DID run the Command Prompt *as Administrator*, didn't you? See
Brink's instruction 3 on that page.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Tim" wrote in message
Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails and through
explorer, the security tab on the properties dialog says with a nice
red X:

"The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be
displayed."

"brink" wrote in message

Tim;453440 Wrote:
I'm trying to delete a folder that contained a wmv file... I deleted
the
file and the folder's empty but when I try to remove the folder I get
the
following error:

"Could not find this item... This is no longer located in
C:\users....
Verify the item's location and try again."

The folder shows up in search and of course it appears where it was
originally placed... I did a reboot and chkdsk...

Any way to get rid of the folder ??

Thanks,

Hi Tim,

You can try to take ownership of the folder first, then try to delete
it. This tutorial will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

Shawn

--
brink

Old July 3rd 09, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
gonzalu

Erik Nettekoven;481287 Wrote:
Hi,

Recently I faced the same problem and I was wondering if you are still
unable to delete the folder. I finally succeeded in deleting the
folders by
opening a command prompt, then used the dir /x command to get the 8.3
name of
the directory and then used the rd command with the 8.3 name of the
undeletable folder and it vanished!

--
Regards,

Erik
MCSE 2000/2003

THANK YOU!

I had to join so I can say thank you. This drove me nuts for about 1
hour until I stumbled upon this answer... worked like a charm!

Cheers
Manny

--
gonzalu
Old July 15th 09, 04:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
manuel_oh

brink;3168173 Wrote:
Have you checked into Dean Dean's idea?

Recently I faced the same problem and I was wondering if you are still
unable to delete the folder. I finally succeeded in deleting the
folders by
opening a command prompt, then used the dir /x command to get the 8.3
name of
the directory and then used the rd command with the 8.3 name of the
undeletable folder and it vanished!

I also signed up so I can say thanks. I spent an hour searching for
the solution to this problem and your dir /x method worked!!! Thank
you!!

--
manuel_oh
manuel_oh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/114815.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old September 2nd 09, 12:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jamesinator5

This Worked For Me!

1) Open up Command Prompt (CMD)

2)type in cd then the location of the file (in my case
c:\users\james\desktop)

3)type in dir /x

4)Next to the file you want to delete it will say the files 8.3 name
(ex. FILENA~1)

5)type del then the files 8.3 name (ex. FILENA~1)

HOPE THIS HELPS... (it did for me... it removed all the hate from me
and my computers love hate relationship)

--
Jamesinator5
Old October 11th 09, 08:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
drzen

Thank you. I too signed up just to say Thanks! After trying eraser, CMD
prompt and jumping through all sorts of hoops, this worked.

--
drzen

Old November 27th 09, 03:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
wildboyswildboys

Jamesinator5;4596487 Wrote:
This Worked For Me!

1) Open up Command Prompt (CMD)

2)type in cd then the location of the file (in my case
c:\users\james\desktop)

3)type in dir /x

4)Next to the file you want to delete it will say the files 8.3 name
(ex. FILENA~1)

5)type del then the files 8.3 name (ex. FILENA~1)

HOPE THIS HELPS... (it did for me... it removed all the hate from me
and my computers love hate relationship)

this worked for me too, thanks mate, i'm so happy right now

--
wildboyswildboys
wildboyswildboys's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/158757.htm

Old February 18th 10, 06:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
gluteus.maximus

brink;3168173 Wrote:
Have you checked into Dean Dean's idea?

Recently I faced the same problem and I was wondering if you are still
unable to delete the folder. I finally succeeded in deleting the folders
by
opening a command prompt, then used the dir /x command to get the 8.3
name of
the directory and then used the rd command with the 8.3 name of the
undeletable folder and it vanished!

Hi! Thx a lot for this simple solution! It worked! I couldn't believe
that after I installed several utilities, the solution was using the old
DOS command.

Thx a lot again!

--
gluteus.maximus