Could not find this item

Old September 16th 07, 02:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Tim

Default Could not find this item

I'm trying to delete a folder that contained a wmv file... I deleted the
file and the folder's empty but when I try to remove the folder I get the
following error:

"Could not find this item... This is no longer located in C:\users....
Verify the item's location and try again."

The folder shows up in search and of course it appears where it was
originally placed... I did a reboot and chkdsk...

Any way to get rid of the folder ??

Thanks,

Old September 16th 07, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brink[_1016_]

Tim;453440 Wrote:
I'm trying to delete a folder that contained a wmv file... I deleted the
file and the folder's empty but when I try to remove the folder I get
the
following error:

"Could not find this item... This is no longer located in C:\users....
Verify the item's location and try again."

The folder shows up in search and of course it appears where it was
originally placed... I did a reboot and chkdsk...

Any way to get rid of the folder ??

Thanks,

Hi Tim,

You can try to take ownership of the folder first, then try to delete
it. This tutorial will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old September 16th 07, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Tim

Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails and through
explorer, the security tab on the properties dialog says with a nice red X:

"The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be
displayed."

Old September 17th 07, 02:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Tim.

Thanks but no joy... the command line option just fails

You DID run the Command Prompt *as Administrator*, didn't you? See Brink's
instruction 3 on that page.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

Old September 17th 07, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Tim

Thanks... yes and the command line comes back with the error: "invalid or
cannot find"... it's like it's not there... except that it is sighs

Hi, Tim.

Old September 17th 07, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Tim.

Then it may be time to bring out the super-finder: Dir!

In the Administrator:Command Prompt:
dir c:\*.wmv /s/a

If it's a big drive with lots of files, you may have time for a cup of
coffee, but if it's there, this should find it.

And, once you know the name of the folder, browse to its parent and use
Remove Directory (rmdir or just rd) with the /s switch to remove the entire
directory tree, including all subfolders and files:
rd foldername /s

It will ask if you're sure; say yes. Should only take a second.

Let us know what happens. It ALWAYS works - sometimes. ;^}

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Tim" wrote in message
news
Thanks... yes and the command line comes back with the error: "invalid or
cannot find"... it's like it's not there... except that it is sighs

Hi, Tim.

Old September 17th 07, 10:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
dean-dean

In Windows Media Player Tools Options, on the Rip Music tab, is that
folder the location given for "Rip music to this location"? If so, can you
change the location?

"Tim" wrote in message
news
Thanks... yes and the command line comes back with the error: "invalid or
cannot find"... it's like it's not there... except that it is sighs

Hi, Tim.

Old September 18th 07, 03:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Tim

well this is just bizarre... the folder shows up with the dir command but it
WILL not allow me to remove it... so i tried putting a few files in there
and it created a NEW directory with the same file name... so then there were
two...both empty... i deleted the one of them and now the folder's
displaying with the files i copied into it... which of course... cannot be
deleted... same errors... it's not there... back in the old days i used
norton to fix crap like this directly on the disk... any other ideas ??

thanks for sticking with this one...

"R. C. White" wrote in message
[...]

"Tim" wrote in message
news
Thanks... yes and the command line comes back with the error: "invalid or
cannot find"... it's like it's not there... except that it is sighs

Hi, Tim.

Old September 18th 07, 03:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brink[_1042_]

dean-dean;454904 Wrote:

In Windows Media Player Tools Options, on the Rip Music tab, is
that
folder the location given for "Rip music to this location"? If so, can
you
change the location?

Tim,

Have you checked into Dean Dean's idea?

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old September 18th 07, 04:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Tim

Sorry, yes I checked... the folder I can't get rid of is NOT the rip to
folder in media player...

"dean-dean" wrote in message
In Windows Media Player Tools Options, on the Rip Music tab, is that
folder the location given for "Rip music to this location"? If so, can
you change the location?

"Tim" wrote in message
news
Thanks... yes and the command line comes back with the error: "invalid or
cannot find"... it's like it's not there... except that it is sighs

Hi, Tim.