Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

Halo 2 Installation Problems

Old January 8th 08, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Harry115[_3_]

Default Halo 2 Installation Problems

Yh, i dunno if my DVD ROM drive does work... :|

Anyone got any solutions, as microsoft sure dont :@

--
Harry115
Harry115's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39023

http://forums.techarena.in

Old January 9th 08, 08:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

First you need to verify your drive works, until then, there is not
much anyone can do.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old December 19th 09, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Alexandre Lanthier

Default I Just found out how to fix that problem!

Ok so first you must find and install TakeOwnership.reg,

then open Explorer and click on Organize,

click on Folder and search options,

Select view,

then select Show hidden files,folders,and drivers,

Maybe also uncheck hide OS system files too just in case,

Reload Explorer,

You should see a folder called ProgramData,

right-click it and select Take Ownership,

Wait until de CMD window as finished,

Take Ownership of every folder that starts with Microsoft,

And Finally run the setup again!

(h2v_lic needed Administrator rights to install)

Brando wrote:

Halo 2 Installation Problems
16-Sep-07

I just upgraded from XP to Vista Home Premium yesterday. I tried to install
Halo 2 (the main reason I upgraded) and I am getting error messages during
the installation. The first one is that my processor doesn't meet the
requirements. I saw this issue in KB 909534 (I have a 2.4 Ghz misreported as
~900 Mhz). About 2 seconds after the installation begins I get the following
error:

"One of the installation steps failed. Do you want to retry?
redists\H2V-licr.msi:
Fatal error during intallation."
Along with retry or cancel information.

I have also looked at KB 258496 and read the readme file on the DVD. I have
tried numerous possible remedies listed, but with no luck. I haven't found
any information relating to this same error.

On Sunday, September 16, 2007 12:10 PM
Brando wrote:

Halo 2 Installation Problems
I just upgraded from XP to Vista Home Premium yesterday. I tried to install
Halo 2 (the main reason I upgraded) and I am getting error messages during
the installation. The first one is that my processor doesn't meet the
requirements. I saw this issue in KB 909534 (I have a 2.4 Ghz misreported as
~900 Mhz). About 2 seconds after the installation begins I get the following
error:

"One of the installation steps failed. Do you want to retry?
redists\H2V-licr.msi:
Fatal error during intallation."
Along with retry or cancel information.

I have also looked at KB 258496 and read the readme file on the DVD. I have
tried numerous possible remedies listed, but with no luck. I haven't found
any information relating to this same error.

On Sunday, September 16, 2007 1:44 PM
dean-dean wrote:

In Event Viewer, under Applications, what is the Event ID for the error(Event
In Event Viewer, under Applications, what is the Event ID for the error
(Event Source: MsiInstaller)?

Is Device Manager showing the correct speed of your processor under the
Processors node? Are you using the High Performance plan in Control
Panel\Power Options?

Some things to try:

Clean the Temp Directory by using the Disk Cleanup utility (Start
Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools). Put a check next to "Temporary
files".

Make sure you have administrative privileges. Run the installer from an
Administrative account. Or right-click on Setup, and choose "Run as
Administrator", if setup is an .exe type-file (.msi-type files don't have
that option, however). If these things don't work,

Download and install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, found he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Run Windows Install Clean Up (a shortcut should be in the Start Menu
Programs). Highlight all references to Halo 2 (only!), and click on
Remove. Don't remove other entries for other programs (like Acrobat Reader,
for example), or they will stop working.

Then try to reinstall Halo 2.

"Brandon" wrote in message

On Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:34 PM
Brando wrote:

I appreciate your help.
I appreciate your help. Device manager does correctly report my processor as
6600 @ 2.4 GHz. I took the steps that you had mentioned, but there were no
references to Halo 2 when I ran the Window Install Clean Up utility. When I
tried to run the installation again (.msi file), I had one Error even show up
in the event viewer. The Event ID is 11721 with the following information:

"Product: Halo 2 for Windows Vista -- Error 1721. There is a problem with
this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to
complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.
Action: SLDLInstall.4156BB8E_484A_4CEF_A757_23EEBCFBD9EF, location:
C:\Windows\Installer\MSID250.tmp, command: /I
@C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\~SLD179.tmp"

There was also an Error that showed up with the source being SideBySide,
which the Event ID 33.

The description is as follows:
"Activation context generation failed for
"C:\Windows\Installer\MSID250.tmp". Dependent Assembly
Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",pub licKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="8.0.50727.762"
could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

I am not too sure what to do from here. I would appreciate any other input
you may have.

"dean-dean" wrote:

On Sunday, September 16, 2007 6:46 PM
dean-dean wrote:

This may sound counter-intuitive, but if you have User Account Controlturned
This may sound counter-intuitive, but if you have User Account Control
turned off, turn it on.

As to the "SideBySide" error, which may be connected to your installation
problems, try this. Download and install the following (I'm assuming your
operating system is 32-bit):

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Right-click on vcredist_x86.exe, after downloaded, and choose Properties.
Then click on Unblock on the General tab of Properties (Apply, OK). Then
right-click the file again, and choose Run as Administrator.

Then try, with UAC on, running Halo 2 setup again. Too, since I don't have
that program, is there a general Setup.exe or Install.exe that you can
right-click on (to Run as Administrator)? Or. rather, are you given
instructions to run the *.msi file directly?

"Brandon" wrote in message

On Tuesday, September 18, 2007 1:10 AM
Brando wrote:

I turned UAC back on, downloaded and installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1
I turned UAC back on, downloaded and installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1
Redistributable Package (x86) and ran startup.exe (the program also
referenced in autorun.ini) as administrator and ended up with the same error
message. On another note, I bought BioShock today and while it installed
just fine, it pops up an error referring to the side-by-side configuration
being incorrect. I have no idea what side-by-side is, but I looked it up
here in the newsgroups and also in the KB. There were a few hits in the KB,
but none of them were relevant to the problem.

Starting to seem like I may have wasted close to $300, but I do appreciate
your efforts to assist me with this problem.

"dean-dean" wrote:

On Sunday, January 06, 2008 8:29 AM
Harry115 wrote:

Halo 2 just wont autorun, then i open up "Computer" and double click onthe
Halo 2 just wont autorun, then i open up "Computer" and double click on
the DVD-ROM Drive and it opens up the disk as a folder :|
Help??

--
Harry115
Harry115's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39023
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=819004

http://forums.techarena.in

On Sunday, January 06, 2008 4:07 PM
Donald L McDaniel wrote:

Halo 2 Installation Problems
On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:59:39 +0530, Harry115
wrote:

Turn autorun on for that DVD drive?

Otherwise, just start the installer by double-clicking on it. It's
called "setup.exe". I also advise you to run it as an Administrator
(right-click on "setup.exe" and choose "run as Administrator".)

Once it's installed, you will start the game using the icon the
installer places on your Desktop.

NOTE that this game will NOT run without the Halo Disk in the drive.
It cannot be a copy, either. It MUST be the original Halo 2 disk.

Donald L McDaniel

On Monday, January 07, 2008 12:04 AM
Kevin wrote:

"Donald L McDaniel" orthocrossATkomkastDOTnet wrote in message
"Donald L McDaniel" orthocrossATkomkastDOTnet wrote in message

Once the game is installed, it runs without the disk in the optical drive.

On Monday, January 07, 2008 1:24 PM
Harry115 wrote:

Setup.exe isn't there, and its legal.
Setup.exe isn't there, and its legal.

--
Harry115
Harry115's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39023
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=819004

http://forums.techarena.in

On Monday, January 07, 2008 5:02 PM
Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:

startup.exeIs that there?And is it an original, not copied DVD?
startup.exe
Is that there?

And is it an original, not copied DVD?
Does the DVD work properly in another computer?

Have you verified, with other media, your DVD drive functions properly
by installing another program from DVD?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Harry115" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 08, 2008 12:33 PM
Harry115 wrote:

Yh, i dunno if my DVD ROM drive does work...
Yh, i dunno if my DVD ROM drive does work... :|

Anyone got any solutions, as microsoft sure dont :@

--
Harry115
Harry115's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39023
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=819004

http://forums.techarena.in

On Wednesday, January 09, 2008 3:01 AM
Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:

First you need to verify your drive works, until then, there is not much
First you need to verify your drive works, until then, there is not
much anyone can do.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

C# Speech Recognition Stock Quote app with SAPI
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ition-sto.aspx