Old October 4th 08, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT]

Default Vista+USB Drive - Somewhat Unique Q

Look for you disk in "Disk Management" (start -- run -- diskmgmt.msc)

From here you should be able to see the disk and the partitions, and assign
a drive letter.

"Gordie1973" wrote in message
As an update I had forgetten to take the jumper off the h/d.

Although when I removed and tried again the computer found and identified
the drive correctly in the "USB Device Found" pop-up and said it was ready
for use. But it is still not recognized in My Computer so I cannot access
it.

I know I must be close here.........

"Gordie1973" wrote:

I have a hard drive that was removed from a computer that I had a year
ago.
The drive was the primary drive in that computer and has XP operating
system
on it.

I want to get some of the personal files and data that are on that drive
and
installed it in an external USB h/d enclosure.

Upon plugging it in the computer found the USB device but then gave an
error
message stating that there was a problem with the device and may not work
properly.

The device does not show up in "My Computer".

The enclosure works fine with other drives installed.

I am thinking it is because there is an operating system on the external
drive that is causing it not to be recognized.

Any suggestions on how to get it connected so I can transfer the data
from
the old drive to the new one?

Thanks!!