windows defender

Old September 17th 07, 02:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
bobbypaintsstuf

Default windows defender

i have two problems which i supose are related
1) every time i restart my computer i get the alert icon down the bottom of
my computer telling me that security center is disabled . so then i click on
it and my firewall is switched off and the live update is also switched of. i
switch them on again and its fine till the next time i switch on the comp and
its disabled again.
2) windows defender says it it running but when i click on it to access it,
it tells me "application failed to initialise 0x800106ba. A problem caused
this program's service to stop. To start the servise, restart your computer
or search help and support for how to start a service manually"

whats going on ? any one got any ideas on how to rectify these problems and
are they related
Old September 17th 07, 04:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Engel

Are you running Windows Live OneCare?

Could you supply some information on what your firewall is, anti-virus,
other RTP programs, etc?
- - --

Old September 17th 07, 10:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
bobbypaintsstuf

i'm running windows firewall.bullguard is virus,windows defender, and
microsofts maliciouse software removal tool. not much i know but cost is a
factor. what is RTP programs? JUST PRETEND! I KNOW NOTHING.

Old September 17th 07, 10:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
[email protected]

Hi,
look this two articles maybe they can help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931849 for Defender
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919291 for Security Center

You didn't tell which kind of OS are you using so, I think those
articles will hellp you.

Old September 18th 07, 07:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
bobbypaintsstuf

ok looks like i have sorted the problem. it looks to have been "VISTA TWEEK"
that i installed from the VIST magazine last week. i had disabled the
security center and internet connection through the visa tweek program while
i was on the train playing games. i latter uninstalled the program but it
looks to have kept those alterations EVEN after numeriouse restarts. i
reinstalled it changed the settings and uninstalled it again. it seems to
have returned to normal.
JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU TO BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU INSTALL AND BE WARY OF WHERE
IT COMES FROM !

Old September 19th 07, 07:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
AJ's Mail

usually this happens when a third party anti virus is installed. check to
see what anti virus is installed. The anti virus software is the one
responsible for the disabling of the Windows defender application in order
to prevent any compatibilty issues from arising. And if you force Defender
to initialize while the anti virus is active errors occur of this level..
This holds true with your firewall application as well. The big names in
anti virus such as Norto, AVG, Mcafee, CA, Trend Micro usally have their own
firewall application as well as spyware and malware protection suite and
they all disable the built in security features of Windows Vista namely
Defender and the firewall.. The Security center can be disabled should you
be annoyed by the constant reminder.. that some settings are off.

"bobbypaintsstuf" wrote in
message ...