Old October 7th 08, 05:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
therriengn

Default 0x8000ffff -- When i Try installing Windows Live messenger..?

omg I cannot believe i figured this one out. I have searched everywhere
for the mysterious Catastrophic Error 0x8000ffff and as you said
Jonathan basically its trying to load a componant that is no longer
available, however i tried installing messenger as you suggested but got
the 'A more recent version of Windows live exists blah blah blah'

I then stumbled upon this tool the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:

You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs
that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows
Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your
computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can
start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.

Worked Great i removed the info that Windows Installer assumed was
there and was able to proceed with my installation with no Catastrophic
failure.

There's 3 hours of my life i won't get back but hopefully this will
help someone else. Cheers Lola

'Jonathan Kay [MVP Wrote:
;3984789']Greetings,

Basically it's trying to load a component that isn't there. I
reproduced something similar
recently and didn't have any luck actually debugging what it was
looking for using standard
tools (procmon, etc.) although I did end up figuring it out.
Unfortunately it won't relate
to this Live Installer problem.

The quickest way to install Messenger would be to just download and
install Messenger
directly from its MSI:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/wlm85.asp

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger

"Peter Foldes" wrote in message

posted to the live messenger group via crosspost
--
Peter

Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be

acknowledged.

"Tom beck" Tom wrote in message
When i Try And Install Windows Live 8.1 For My Windows Vista PC It

Says..

There Was A Problem with this Installation.Windows Live Suite Was

Not
Installed.
System Error Details :
Code : 0x8000ffff