ATI TV-WONDER 550/650 - VISTA fails to boot, even from install DVD

Old October 14th 06, 05:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cwagz

Default ATI TV-WONDER 550/650 - VISTA fails to boot, even from install DVD

I have been running Vista RC1 and RC2 since the day they were released. I
like Vista so much that I decided to make it my sole OS on my 2 computers.
Also, I wanted to start playing with the Media Center functions so I went and
purchased an ATI "Vista Premium Certified" tuner card, the new TV Wonder 650.
I put the card in an open PCI slot in my machine and booted up. As soon as
Vista started loading, right after POST, when the sliding green bar animation
occurs my computer just locked up completly. The lights on my keyboard and
mouse went out and the was the end of it. I tried everything imaginable to
get the card to work in my machine. I tried safe mode, I tried removing all
other PCI cards, I tried using my wifes video card instead of mine, I tested
my powersupply, and I tried re-installing Windows from the RC2 DVD. It still
locked up at the green sliding bar animation... I was certain it was a
hardware issue so I put the card into my wifes computer that is also running
Vista RC2. Her machine booted up fine. I installed the drivers and recorded
a TV show with Vista MCE.

Problem is I want to use the tuner card in my machine. I put the card back
into my machine and was able to succesfully install Windows XP Pro. The card
worked fine in XP so I tried an upgrade install to Vista RC2. The first
portion before the boot went fine. But as soon as Vista rebooted to finish
the installation the computer locked up at the same point, "sliding green bar
animation".

So it appears that there is some sort of driver conflict with my machine and
the default drivers in the Vista installation... I sure hope someone from
Microsoft sees this and it gets fixed before Vista ships. I am back to XP
for now which really sucks!

Here is my system configuration: (TV-Wonder causes Vista installation to
lock up)
Asus P5W DH Deluxe (Intel 975X Chipset)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (not overclocked)
2GB Corsair XMS2 memory
BFG Tech Nvidia Geforce 7900GT
2 WD SATAI drives in RAID 1
1 Seagate SATAII drive
cd-burner
dvd-burner

Here is my wifes configuration (TV Wonder worked fine with Vista)
Asus A8N-LA (Compaq Motherboard / nForce 410/430 chipset)
Athlon X2 4200+
1.5 GB ram
Gigabyte GeForce 7300GT
1 Seagate SATAII drive
dvd combo drive

Since I am no longer running Vista I am still looking for a place to submit
this as a bug. Again I hope someone from Microsoft sees this so that it can
get fixed. I am also going to contact ATI and ASUS.

Old October 14th 06, 11:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
J6

I just installed a new ATI VisionTek RADEON X1300 256MB DDR2 PCI in my system
that I using with another duel monitor card. I did NOT use the CD that came
in the box with that card. They won't work with vista. I went toto ATI's site
and download the vista Catalyst control center. The drivers in that download
worked flawlessly with my new card. Perhaps You need to get the latest
drivers (on Line) from ATI. The main thing You don't want to do is use the
drivers on the CD that came with your card.
--
J6

Old October 14th 06, 02:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Check to see if you are running with the latest BIOS update for your MOBO,
some MOBO manufacturers have had to update their BIOS with the release of
RC1 or
RC2.