Old October 8th 08, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Curious[_5_]

Default overall speed upgrade question

Since the 64 bit OS is coded in 64 bit the OS itself will perform better.
You will probably see no gain in the performance of your 32 bit
applications. If you switch to 64 bit I would also suggest upgrading to 4GB
of memory since 64 bit does consume more memory.
"Drew" wrote in message
Andy...I should have mentioned, (Brain fart ! ) I am running Vista
business and have been since the very first day it came out...I am running
the 32bit edition but I do own the 64bit and both are retail. I am looking
at the Q6600 as well as a couple of Ati 4670s.. I also have twin 160gig
Seagate's sata1.5's and I was looking at maybe a sata 3.. In your opinion
for this would 64bit get me better performance !!

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote in message
48.16...
"Drew" wrote in
:

Hey all
Running a Intel D975XBX2 motherboard 4gigs of ddr667 ram and Core2 duo
1.86 and Nvidia 7900gs vid card and I am curious what would be the
best bang for the buck speed upgrade some might suggest.. I play games
like Company of Heroes as well as racing simulators ( Rfactor and
GTR2)and flight sims (Microsoft's flight sim X.) I am not necessarily
having any problems but would like advice on next upgrade

CPU...

Get a nice Quad Core. Doesn't have to be the best. I'm running a Q6600,
I like it, a lot.

Next would be Vista if you're running XP, get Home Professional or
Ultimate RETAIL. Since you upgrade your computer, getting Retail so you
can legally take your OS to new systems, is the way to go.

Lastly would be video, I use a 8800GT, but the new ATi 4850 or 4870 has
won a ton of rewards for their price and performance vs. "faster" nVidia
cards like the 280gtx. I would go with one of those. Not the ATi 3000
series, go for the 4850 or 4870

An option anywhere along those lines would be to upgrade your hard drive
array. I run 3 x 320 gig, basic Seagate drives, but I use the first for
my C: drive and the other 2 I stripe (RAID0) for my D: drive. Make sure
you run your pagefile.sys on the D:\ drive for extra speed with the
virtual memory file.

Good luck.

--
-A.