asp.net machine account

Old September 21st 07, 01:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
GTS

Default asp.net machine account

You're welcome.
Both the problem and the repair process are complicated, and it seems you're
still confused about asp.net and the instructions for using the Vista boot
repair options and instead were trying to run a reinstallation. I suggest
you look for qualified professional help.
--

"Jesse" wrote in message
Thanks again for trying to help. I am just lost. I tried to boot with my
original vista install dvd, but with no luck. All I get is a window saying
that I need to be the administrator to run the installation. I know it is
some more of that stupid aps.net mess.

"GTS" wrote:

You're welcome. If you have a standard Vista installation DVD that is
the
boot disk.
--

"Jesse" wrote in message
Thanks for your advice. I read the post on the link you gave me. It
sounds
exactly like what I am going through. Unfortunately I don't have a
vista
boot
disk. All I have is the disk I used to install vista.

"GTS" wrote:

Jesse.

The link below discusses a case exactly like yours and provides a
solution - see last post in the page.

To clarify a couple of points for you- Firstly, the asp.net account is
related to the.Net framework, is not abnormal, and is NOT a problem in
itself. (I have one on my Vista machine and have seen it on many
others.)
It should not be deleted. However, it does complicate your real
problem
which is that you do not have access to an Administrator account.

In Vista, the built in admin account is disabled by default. If
there
is
no other administrative account on the machine the built in admin
account
will be enabled by booting into safe mode. However, if there is any
other
admin account, and in your case the asp.net one qualifies, the built
in
will
not automatically be enabled in safe mode. This means that if the
admin
account had never been enabled, you can't get access to it AND if
your
current user account is a limited one, you do not have the rights
needed
fix the problem. Spirits solution will not work because you cannot
enable
the admin account from a limited user account.

This is an unfortunate design flaw. Microsoft's decision to enable
the
admin account in safe mode in the absence of any other admin accounts
is
smart move intended to prevent a complete lockout of admin rights.
The
problem that is created by the presence of the asp.net account is
essentially a bug or unforeseen problem (i.e. the admin account should
be
enabled in safe mode if no admin account other than asp.net is
present).

This link explains how to use the PE environment from a Vista DVD boot
(I
hope you have one) to make a registry change to enable the built in
admin
account. Unfortunately, the original poster did not confirm how it
worked
out, but I suspect it's a sound solution. It's somewhat complicated,
and
if you're not comfortable with it you may wish to get some
professional
help. Once that is done you can change your user account to
administrative
from the admin login if you wish.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-accoun...r-account.html

GTS
--

"Jesse" wrote in message
I am still miserable and having fits trying to get around or get rid
of
this
asp.net machine user account. I can't access many of my programs
like
system
restore. I am denied access to many of my programs because it says
that
it
is
the administrator, and I don't have permission. I can't make myself
the
admin; and it won't delete or uninstall. Is ther anything that
someone
can
tell me in laymans terms, how I can get rid of asp.net. I hate it
and
it
is
driving me crazy. I didn't have these issues before I upgraded to
vista
home
premium. Somebody please help me. I have tried to change
permissions.
Change
user accounts. Cannot uninstall some programs because I get a
message
saying
someone else is using it. Don't know what to do.