asp.net machine account

Old September 17th 07, 11:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesse

Default asp.net machine account

I am still miserable and having fits trying to get around or get rid of this
asp.net machine user account. I can't access many of my programs like system
restore. I am denied access to many of my programs because it says that it is
the administrator, and I don't have permission. I can't make myself the
admin; and it won't delete or uninstall. Is ther anything that someone can
tell me in laymans terms, how I can get rid of asp.net. I hate it and it is
driving me crazy. I didn't have these issues before I upgraded to vista home
premium. Somebody please help me. I have tried to change permissions. Change
user accounts. Cannot uninstall some programs because I get a message saying
someone else is using it. Don't know what to do.
Old September 18th 07, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Spirit

Try this then elevate your User to Admin also.

Turning on the Administrator account is straightforward.
First, open an elevated command prompt by typing
cmd into the Search box on the Start menu, right-clicking
the command prompt icon that appears at the top of the
Start menu, then selecting Run as administrator .
Then enter this command and press Enter:

Net user administrator /active:yes

From now on, the Administrator account will appear as an
option on the Welcome screen, along with any user accounts
you may have set up. Use it like any other account. Be aware
that it won't have a password yet, so it's a good idea to set a
password for it.

If you want to disable the account and hide it, enter this
command at an elevated command prompt and press Enter:
Net user administrator /active:no

Old September 18th 07, 11:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesse

Thanks for trying to help. I printed your instructions, and tried them. I
typed in what you told me to, then closed window. Restarted computer several
times, but all that came up was the account with my name on it, and the guest
account. Since the account with my name on it shows all of my files and
folders I used it. I try to change it to make it my admin; account [from
standard user] but it won't change. That asp.net account is password
protected, and when I try to remove it, it says that windows cannot change
the password. I have had it with vista stuff. I don't know what to do. No
matter what I do, that asp.net go away. Every time I start my computer, a
window says that task scheduler is not running. I can't use system restore.
Most of my important programs won't run, or give me access. I tried to delete
the guest account that comes up when I turn my computer on, but when I click
on it, it goes to my vista desktop. But I still have the same problems.
Thanks again.

"Spirit" wrote:

Try this then elevate your User to Admin also.

Turning on the Administrator account is straightforward.
First, open an elevated command prompt by typing
cmd into the Search box on the Start menu, right-clicking
the command prompt icon that appears at the top of the
Start menu, then selecting Run as administrator .
Then enter this command and press Enter:

Net user administrator /active:yes

From now on, the Administrator account will appear as an

Old September 19th 07, 05:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

Jesse, can you explain what exactly you are trying to achieve? It is very
unclear. In your frustration, you seem to be mixing issues together. It seems
the asp.net account is offending you for some reason. However, there
shouldn't be such an account on Vista, or any other OS for that matter.
Windows XP had an ASPNET account, and if you upgraded an XP system you would
still have that account on the system.

Can you explain in a little more detail, with repro steps, what you are
doing? If you really do have an account called asp.net you have a problem
with that system.

---

"Spirit" wrote:

Try this then elevate your User to Admin also.

Turning on the Administrator account is straightforward.
First, open an elevated command prompt by typing
cmd into the Search box on the Start menu, right-clicking
the command prompt icon that appears at the top of the
Start menu, then selecting Run as administrator .
Then enter this command and press Enter:

Net user administrator /active:yes

From now on, the Administrator account will appear as an

Old September 19th 07, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
GTS

Jesse.

The link below discusses a case exactly like yours and provides a
solution - see last post in the page.

To clarify a couple of points for you- Firstly, the asp.net account is
related to the.Net framework, is not abnormal, and is NOT a problem in
itself. (I have one on my Vista machine and have seen it on many others.)
It should not be deleted. However, it does complicate your real problem
which is that you do not have access to an Administrator account.

In Vista, the built in admin account is disabled by default. If there is
no other administrative account on the machine the built in admin account
will be enabled by booting into safe mode. However, if there is any other
admin account, and in your case the asp.net one qualifies, the built in will
not automatically be enabled in safe mode. This means that if the admin
account had never been enabled, you can't get access to it AND if your
current user account is a limited one, you do not have the rights needed to
fix the problem. Spirits solution will not work because you cannot enable
the admin account from a limited user account.

This is an unfortunate design flaw. Microsoft's decision to enable the
admin account in safe mode in the absence of any other admin accounts is a
smart move intended to prevent a complete lockout of admin rights. The
problem that is created by the presence of the asp.net account is
essentially a bug or unforeseen problem (i.e. the admin account should be
enabled in safe mode if no admin account other than asp.net is present).

This link explains how to use the PE environment from a Vista DVD boot (I
hope you have one) to make a registry change to enable the built in admin
account. Unfortunately, the original poster did not confirm how it worked
out, but I suspect it's a sound solution. It's somewhat complicated, and
if you're not comfortable with it you may wish to get some professional
help. Once that is done you can change your user account to administrative
from the admin login if you wish.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-accoun...r-account.html

GTS

Old September 19th 07, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesse

I do have asp.net It is in my user accounts, and has screwed up a lot of my
programs. It has the administrator account, and no matter what I do, it won't
go away or let me change it. It say it is password protected, and I can't
change or remove the password. I guess it is trash time for the comuter. I am
wondering if I can use the same vista program I have on another computer.
Thanks anyway.

"Spirit" wrote:

Try this then elevate your User to Admin also.

Turning on the Administrator account is straightforward.
First, open an elevated command prompt by typing
cmd into the Search box on the Start menu, right-clicking
the command prompt icon that appears at the top of the
Start menu, then selecting Run as administrator .
Then enter this command and press Enter:

Net user administrator /active:yes

From now on, the Administrator account will appear as an

Old September 19th 07, 11:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesse

Thanks for your advice. I read the post on the link you gave me. It sounds
exactly like what I am going through. Unfortunately I don't have a vista boot
disk. All I have is the disk I used to install vista.

Old September 21st 07, 12:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesse

Thanks again for trying to help. I am just lost. I tried to boot with my
original vista install dvd, but with no luck. All I get is a window saying
that I need to be the administrator to run the installation. I know it is
some more of that stupid aps.net mess.