Vista Banter

-   Windows Vista File Management (http://www.vistabanter.com/windows-vista-file-management/)
-   -   File not recognized (http://www.vistabanter.com/73054-file-not-recognized.html)

eric blom September 18th 07 01:46 PM

File not recognized

I have an Excel file on my desktop. Whenever I double-click on it, I get the
error message "Windows cannot find 'C:\users\owners\Desktop\eric.sources.xlsx'
It doesn't matter if I save it under another name, or even pasting into a
new file.
I am able to open it by opening Excel first and then using the "open"
function.

brink[_1053_] September 18th 07 03:56 PM

File not recognized

eric blom;455460 Wrote:
I have an Excel file on my desktop. Whenever I double-click on it, I get
the
error message "Windows cannot find
'C:\users\owners\Desktop\eric.sources.xlsx'
It doesn't matter if I save it under another name, or even pasting into
new file.
I am able to open it by opening Excel first and then using the "open"
function.

Hi Eric,

Are you able to open the Excel file by right clicking on it and click
Open With and selecting the Excel .exe program?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...-programs.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*

eric blom September 18th 07 04:56 PM

File not recognized

Thank you for responding. I just tried it, and no, I can't. Excel opens, but
not the spreadsheet itself. Can you help?

Ronnie Vernon MVP September 19th 07 04:19 AM

File not recognized

Eric

Check the following article.

You receive an error message when you try to open an Office document or
start Outlook:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835404

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

KSAndersen September 19th 07 03:00 PM

File not recognized

I have the same problem. I don't think the abovementioned link gives any
solution. I have fully updated anti-virus software (AVG) and disabling this
did not change anything. I have the same problem with Word-files (Office
2003) as with Excel-files. In my case the problem was first solved disabling
UAC.
Kjeld

deng3 October 24th 07 02:55 PM

File not recognized

After the september bunch of vista-updates I got the same problems.
Has anyone found a solution meanwhile?

In addition since then my Outlook2007 runs a slow folder-repair-process
everytime I open it.

Dieter

Richard Online November 6th 07 06:37 PM

File not recognized

Hi. Have you tried unchecking the "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic
Data Exchange (DDE)" option, in Office Menu - Excel Options - Advanced?

That works for me.

Ricardo.

capgar November 18th 07 02:53 AM

File not recognized

This may work for Excel. It does not work for Word 2007 (problem in
documents folder and with e-mail attachments).

Thanks...Chris