Vista 64, X-Fi: Microphone Sound Distorted

Old September 18th 07, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Szaijan

Default Vista 64, X-Fi: Microphone Sound Distorted

I use Vista 64, an SB X-Fi Extreme Music sound card, and just bought a Turtle
Beach Ear Force surround sound headset w/microphone. The head set and Mic
work perfectly in Win Xp, but in Vista 64 all sound recoding is accompanied
by distortion that sounds like fan interference or some other regular
electronic interference or choppiness caused by bandwidth limitations. My
Plantronics USB headset/mic work fine in Vista 64. My cheap desktop
microphone has the same issue.

This problem comes and goes, though it's present far more than absent, which
makes me think it has something to do with the priority given to the sound
streaming. Running various games seems to bring about the problem, nd once
it occurs it doesn't go away until a reboot. My latest attempt to fix this
has been to set the default quality level to 24-bit 96k, which may or may not
have had an effect, as the problem hasn't manifested itself.

This problem is present in all audio recording apps I've tried (the Mic test
in Vista, Teamspeak, DDO voice chat, et. al.) and appears to be an OS issue,
as the problem does not exist with the same hardware and on the same apps
under Windows Xp.

Anyone else have this issue and some suggestions on how to fix it. I could
MMOs and shooters.

For reference, my system specs:

Windows Vista Ultimate 64
Athlon 64 X2 4800+
4 GB DDR400 RAM
RAID-0 74 GB Raptor HDs
NVidia 8800GTS 384 MB graphics card
SB X-Fi Extreme Music sound card
Turtle Beach Earforce sourround sound headset w/mic
Old September 21st 07, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
rEaX

Ive got exactly the same issue as you got but im using the "SB X-Fi
ExtremeGamer". I would like help also.

My system:
Vista64bit
Core2Duo E6700
4GB RAM
8800GTS 640MB
SB X-Fi ExtremeGamer

--
rEaX
rEaX's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31515

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 15th 09, 03:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
StrifeRift

Hey, I know these posts are old, but I'm still having this problem. I
had it in vista x64 and now in Windows 7 RC1 x64. The problem isn't the
microphone (tried different ones with same result)...and it's the exact
same problem as the Op described. If either of you two are still around,
or if anyone else found a fix for it, I'd like to know.

OS: Windows 7 Build 7100 x64
Sound Card: Auzen X-Fi Prelude (built off the same creative x-fi
platform)

--
StrifeRift
Old May 15th 09, 05:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Manny Weisbord

StrifeRift wrote:

Hey, I know these posts are old, but I'm still having this problem. I
had it in vista x64 and now in Windows 7 RC1 x64. The problem isn't the
microphone (tried different ones with same result)...and it's the exact
same problem as the Op described. If either of you two are still around,
or if anyone else found a fix for it, I'd like to know.

OS: Windows 7 Build 7100 x64
Sound Card: Auzen X-Fi Prelude (built off the same creative x-fi
platform)

You hope they're still monitoring their thread from 2007? I DON'T
THINK SO.

PLUS... no one knows what you're talking about since WE don't use the
interface you're using.

Start a new thread, or FULLY detail your specific problem.
Old May 15th 09, 03:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
StrifeRift

Or...you could just calm down and stop freaking out...it'll be ok dude.
I never said I was hoping they would still be monitoring. And...if they
still have the same email address and they left this subscribed...then
yeah they would have gotten an e-mail actually. Like I said...I was
asking anyone if they ever found a solution...not just the first two
posts. I've been doing quite a few searches and this is the only thing I
found; Why make a new post if it's the exact same problem in the exact
same circumstances with nearly the same hardware? If you also decided to
actually read, you would have read where I said it is the exact same
problem...and I had the problem in both Vista Ultimate x64 and now in
Windows 7 RC1 x64...indicating the problem is the same in both, so I'm
asking for the solution under Vista x64...so I would hope people know
what I'm talking about.

Choppy mic recording...it's ok as soon as I reboot most of the time,
but then it will soon get distorted recording from the microphone (no
matter the microphone) when I'm in a game...any game, from any medium
(in game, TS, Vent, even offline). Is this a problem with X-fi, and
64bit vista? Some sound setting that makes it like this, maybe it's just
the sound card gone bad? Although...It was fine in XP home, then
switched to Vista ultimate x64 and got this problem (exact same as Op),
and it remains in windows 7. I'm really not kidding when I say it's the
exact same problem as the Op. (I just don't have a USB headset to test
that part)

If you don't have the solution or a suggestion on it, you shouldn't
post.

--
StrifeRift