Vista 64 bit Boot Manager (0xc0000428)

Old September 24th 07, 11:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Magnus Alstrom

Default Vista 64 bit Boot Manager (0xc0000428)

Hi,

I have an installed Windows Vista (64 bit) and had everything working last
week. This morning I'm trying to boot the computer and I only get a message
from Windows Boot Manager:

A recent hardware or software chnage might have installed a file that is
signed incorrectly or damaged.... bla bla.

Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

There is no information about which file that might be corrupt. Anyway,
trying Enter=continue or F8 advanced boot options fails, since computer only
will reboot.

Decided to try to repair the installation, by booting from installation CD.
I get the option to boot from CD and press a key and got really surprised:
The same Windows Boot Manager error! I tried the CD on another computer and
it loaded as expected.

Anyone that know anything about this error? All suggestions and ideas are
appreciated, throwing the computer (Lenovo ThinkCentre, MT-M 9641-75G) from
top floor of our office building is the best suggestion so far.

regards Magnus
Old September 24th 07, 11:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Spirit

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot

and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Error message when you start Windows Vista: "The Windows Boot Configuration
Data file is missing required information"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us

What to do when Vista Crashes : Little known strategy - bootrec.exe

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...0000329&pgno=5

http://www.informationweek.com/galle...l?galleryID=44

5 ways to fix a non-booting Vista installation

http://microsoftvista2006.blogspot.c...n-booting.html

Old September 24th 07, 12:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Magnus Alstrom[_2_]

I appreciate the answer, but unfortunatelly it doens't help. I was apperently
not clear enough:

I get the option to boot from CD and press a key and got really surprised:
The same Windows Boot Manager error! I tried the CD on another computer

I have enabled to boot from a CD and get the question, press any key to boot
from the CD (and even another attempt with F12). The problem is that I still
get the Windows Boot Manager error. The CD is correct (checked with another
machine), the CD/DVD player was at least working 3 days ago.

regards Magnus

Old September 25th 07, 04:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Spirit

If you have the BIOS set to boot from the CD first as you say then either
the CD
is NOT bootable or you have a serious hardware issue. Double check your
BIOS settings that you have the CD set to boot BEFORE the hard disk in
the boot order. You migtht need a visit to a competent shop.

Once you can boot you should try the bootrec /fixmbr and the other tips in
the links I posted.

Old September 26th 07, 07:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Magnus Alstrom[_2_]

"A competent shop": yeah, really! I know how to set boot on cd before hard
drive.

Still, I haven't a clue what was messed up with my computer, but I found a
solution: removed hard disk, format hard disk from another computer,
reinstall bios and finally the installation cd was able to boot.

regards Magnus

Old March 5th 10, 12:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Godske

I am experiencing the same problem - although the error is not the same.

In my case, the reason it is unable to boot from the CD/DVD is because,
when I reach the "boot-from-CD-or-DVD"-option and have to press any key
to do so, there is no power to the keyboard, meaning it will try and
boot from the HDD as per usual.

I have no trouble getting into BIOS or pressing F2 or F11 during
start-up, or when inside BIOS, but the power turns off when I reach the
Boot Failure screen where I can press Escape or F8? - to exit or
continue.

--
Godske