CD-RW Format

Old October 24th 06, 04:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike

Default CD-RW Format

Attila,
I have no problem with any writing using NERO. I do have Easy CD/DVD
creator, but can't confirm whether it works with this as its not compatible
with Vista!
Mike

"Attila" wrote:

I also test "Live file system" with CD/DVD. I can format CD/DVD but Vista
(RC1) hang when using drag and drop. The hardware work correctly in Win2K and
Sonic DLA (using dual boot on the same machine). I also test a CD/DVD
formatted whit another machine (Roxio DirectCD - UDF ver 1.5) and I get the
same problem like Mike (CD/DVD read only message). In the event log sometimes
I also see CDROM EVENT ID 7 no other error message (only system hang).

"Adrian" wrote:

I have just managed to partially fix my problem with my drives. When I first
configured this machine I installed 2 H/D's (IDE1)and 2 CD's (IDE2) (1xDVDRW
and 1xCDRW) everything worked OK with XP and Vista Beta. I then installed
RC1 which is where all the trouble started, both H/D's worked OK but couldnt
use either CD or DVD I have just reconfigured the PC and IDE1 is now H/D and
DVDRW, IDE2 is now H/D and CDRW.
Both devices on IDE1 work but only the h/d works on IDE2, I suppose 3 out of
4 is ok

Adrian

"Mike" wrote:

OK, I completely forgot that I had RC2 on my laptop, installed purely for
testing purposes! This has a Toshiba SD-R2102 cd writer/dvd-rom!
I just tried these CD-RW discs on that and still the same! "Windows was
unable to complete the format".
As with RC1, they work perfectly well using NERO to back up files and
folders etc!
The discs are Mitsubishi "Black Diamond" 4x - 12x 700meg. Had no problems
at all with these discs until a couple of days ago... on either PC! There
has to be a simple and logical explanation!
Regards,
Mike

"Mike" wrote:

I also have Vista RC2, but decided to go back to RC1! Anyone tried
formatting with RC2? You never know!
Mike

"Adrian" wrote:

I have also been having trouble with CD-RW and DVD writers. I cannot even
read from these devices, it shows there is a disc in the drive (it comes up
with the CD header) but wont show contents of the disk. I have a Diamond
Data CD-RW, a Samsung Writemaster DVD-RW and a Imation DVD-RW which have
stopped working under Vista RC1. I have uninstalled the drives and
reinstalled numerous times, I have replaced cables twice and still no go. I
thought the devices had gone faulty and took them back to the dealer to find
there is nothing wrong with the devices. I have also installed these devices
in an XP box with no problem its only with Vista. If anyone comes up with a
fix would be a happy person again.

Adrian

"Mike" wrote:

Here's a strange one!
I've been using a CD-RW to back-up data from RC1, 5600 (using Vistas own
built-in writing software!). It's been perfect since I installed it over a
month ago! However, in the last 2 days, when I try to back up, I'm told the
disc is "read only" and can't write to it! So, I tried to format... goes
through the motions, but after a couple of minutes, informs me that it "can
not complete the format". 3 CD-RW's I've tried and all the same message.
This does NOT happen with DVD-RW or DVD+RW discs, only CD-RW!!! Can this be
a drive fault? Last night I even re-installed Vista, but still the same!
I've uninstalled the drive and re-installed it... still the same! Any
suggestions?
Regards,
Mike

Old October 24th 06, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike

Adrian,

I've had a mad thought! I took note as to when this problem started! It
coincided with the last Defender update! It's the only thing I can come up
with at this time! I know I said I re-installed RC1 the other night... BUT I
let it update first before I tried writing to a CD-RW!
I'm now going to re-install RC1 once again... only THIS time I will not
update, and then try writing again! It HAS to be the answer, nothing else
makes sense!
Mike

Old October 24th 06, 09:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike

Oh well... that didn't work! My PC is now back EXACTLY as it was when I
first installed RC1; ie 19th September! So what's changed? The drive isn't
faulty (I've now tried it with XP and it's fine!)... so, has something
happened to these 3 discs whilst I've been using them with Vista? I'm now
totally lost!
Help!!!
Mike

Old October 25th 06, 04:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Skip

I don't think anything is wrong with anyone's drive or media here. Clearly,
Vista on our machines has gotten screwed up. I was once able to burn CDs and
DL DVD+Rs.

I just tried to format a CDR with the Live File System, the burn light
blinks and it opens a process dialog window, then it hangs with my hard drive
buzzing non-stop. I have to reboot to get my machine back. With DVD+R DLs,
when I attempt this process, all I get is a message that it's unable to
complete (while it never EVEN attempts to format). DVD+Rs work perfectly.
Strange! Does anyone know if BURN-Proof (a capability on some drives) could
affect this? I have a Plextor 755-SA.

I cannot use Easy CD Creator, PlexTools (for controlling drive functions),
or anything else I have since it's incompatible. Someone needs to figure
this out...tomorrow I will post a new thread containing a more general title
about the built-in burning problem...

Old October 25th 06, 07:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike

Hi Skip,

Well, none of this makes sense at all! Have you read through the whole
thread? Basically, there are contradictions all the way through... we've all
had a similar problem and yet why, when completely re-installing and starting
again, won't these discs format when they did a few days ago? It's not, as
you say, faulty writers! There's ONLY the media left! Has Vista somehow
"corrupted" them? So even starting again, they're unusable! It's the only
explanation that fits! I'm not blaming Microsoft for this... let's not
forget we ARE beta testing this O/S!
I've tried erasing these discs on an XP machine... ah, but I haven't tried
formatting them with XP and trying again! Maybe, if the disc IS corrupt
somehow, this will illiminate it!
I shall report back!
Regards,
Mike.