Old November 10th 08, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Milhouse Van Houten

Default nVidia 8600M GS driver for x64?

Thanks. I know WU is not the place to get the latest and greatest driver,
but it's usually the place to get *a* driver, and usually a stable one. It
seems odd to me that Dell hasn't worked with MS to make one available.

I checked out that site and it's quite interesting. Per my Hardware ID, this
is the appropriate version, though it's no longer available.
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com./drivers/vista64/176.44

I'll figure it out (there's a lot to read yet), but I'm wondering why it's
left to that site to make available something that's so fundamental -- and
for 2008 systems yet. Based on the thread for the latest version, the
stability of these drivers seem to leave a lot to be desired, to the point
where I might be better off with the Standard VGA Adapter. Surely all
parties involved would do well to release solid drivers via normal channels.
http://laptopvideo2go.com/forum/inde...howtopic=21387

"Curious" wrote in message
Try the following link. WinUpdate is normally the wrong place for driver
updates.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com./

"Milhouse Van Houten" wrote in message
I was quite surprised upon installing Vista X64 SP1 clean on my Vostro
1710 to find that WU did not have a video driver waiting for me. As a
result, my WEI numbers for video (2D and 3D) were a whopping 1.0 with the
default "Standard VGA Adapter."

Naturally, I went to Dell's support site but found only x32 drivers.

I went to nVidia's site, but they said "M" class drivers are supplied by
the laptop vendors.

Surely I'm missing something, as this isn't exactly an obscure -- or
new -- card.

Thanks