Old November 12th 08, 07:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT]

Default Confused Btwn 64 or 32 bit!!!

Hi Jeyessh,

Building your own computer is a great opportunity to learn - but the
learning curve can be very harsh. Don't go down this path if you are not
prepared to be inconvenienced.

I, personally, would suggest 64 bits if you are going to put = 4 GB of RAM
into the machine. Keep in mind that some of your older devices
(printers/scanners/etc) may not have 64 bit drivers, and may need to be
replaced.

As for the dual core vs quad core - I would go for the quad core. I have a
quad core 2.4 on may home machine with 8 GB of RAM - and absolutely love the
machine.

For a motherboard, go with an Intel manufacturered board (one *made* by
Intel, not *compatible* with Intel processors). I have had problems with
other motherboard manufacturers, but never Intel - they just work.

I don't have too much experience with tuner cards, as I use Amazon unbox to
watch shows/movies on my media center PC. You can go to sites like
newegg.com and look at reviews by other users.

Finally - don't skimp on the hard drive (as this is often a bottleneck in
most machines.) The Western Digital raptor drives have treated me well in
the past. I would use this for OS install/Applications, but store
video/music/etc on an external USB/1394/eSATA drive.

"jeyessh" wrote in message

Hello,
I'm gonna purchase a new system!
I'm planning to have a 4 gigs of RAM!
I've heard many of my friends say that 64 bit utilizes 4 gigs of RAM
better than 32 bit.
Is is true??
And i am confused between choosing the Intel Core2Duo 3.0 and Intel
Core2Quad 2.4!
Both are arnd the same price here!
I don't plan to overclock my processor!
I am not a hardcore gamer but just an average gamer!

And Do suggest me a good Motherboard!
My friend has a spare Intel DG 35 EC. Can i use it or are there any
better motherboards out there in the market that can use my NVIDIA 8500
Gt to the maximum?
And i do need some help on how to record Live tv programs on my PC.
What kind of TV tuner card should i go in for?:geek:
Hope i haven't troubled you much!

With Regards,
Ashok

--