Logon Unsuccessful

Old September 26th 07, 01:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
thehawk

Default Logon Unsuccessful

I am trying to share several file structures across two PC's in the same
workgroup through my Linksys wireless router. I have shared the files on the
source computer. When I go the Network window. I can see the source computer
as a resource, but when I try to log in, I keep getting the following error
message.

"Logon Unsuccessful: Windows is unable to log you on. Be sure that your
user name and password are correct."

I am certain that the user name and password are correct. I am entering the
Domain\User Name in the User Name field, but I keep getting the same error.
What am I missing?
Old September 26th 07, 03:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Chuck [MVP]

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:34:02 -0700, thehawk
wrote:

I am trying to share several file structures across two PC's in the same
workgroup through my Linksys wireless router. I have shared the files on the
source computer. When I go the Network window. I can see the source computer
as a resource, but when I try to log in, I keep getting the following error
message.

"Logon Unsuccessful: Windows is unable to log you on. Be sure that your
user name and password are correct."

I am certain that the user name and password are correct. I am entering the
Domain\User Name in the User Name field, but I keep getting the same error.
What am I missing?

Is the account in question activated for network access?
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Activate

Is the server running Advanced File Sharing / Password Protected Sharing?
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Advanced
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Advanced

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Old January 9th 08, 07:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
SuperFreak[_2_]

I've got exactly the same problem! :cry:

I have XP Pro SP2 on "source" computer, called "SUB" and Vista x86
Ultimate on "Main" computer. From "SUB" I can reach shared folders on
"MAIN", but not from the opposite: I can't get in from MAIN to SUB /
from Vista to XP. Connected both machines via LAN, Netgear router.

This is crazy...

--
SuperFreak
Old January 9th 08, 03:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_96_]

Make sure no other security software blocks sharing. Or this search result
may help.

Vista cannot access othersVista can't access other computers. Can't browser
another XP computer · Vista can't access XP · Can't see any computers in the
Network ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaaccess1.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Old January 9th 08, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
SuperFreak[_3_]

Thanx for the link.
On "SUB" there is a fresh Windows XP installed; built-in firewall off,
no antivirus or spyware installed.

--
SuperFreak
Old March 16th 08, 12:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Missionary

I had the same problem. I found the answer he
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/83...-password.html
It worked like a prayer.

--
Missionary
Old March 17th 08, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
SuperFreak[_4_]

Thanx so much for the link, it helped me to solve this problem. Cheers,

--
SuperFreak
Old May 8th 10, 08:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
A C0mputer Guru

I searched and searched, and finally found the answer to Vista not
seeing XP shared folders and vice-versa, even XP to XP in some cases.
It's on the XP machine, and it has to do with File Permissions. I know
this sounds stupid, but I tried EVERY trick that was out there (changing
Vista's Lan Manager back to v1, making the same user on each machine,
etc.) but this worked b-e-a-utifully for me.

It's all about WHO owns (not just has the rights to) the
folders/partition. I was silly and changed my user name months ago,
which threw XP into a "hidden tizzy." when I added a new Vista machine
to the works, the problem surfaced BIG TIME.

Solution: I created a new user w/admin priviledges. Then I rebooted and
logged in as the new user (necessary to make registry changes, etc.).
Then, I copied all of the old user's Desktop, Favorites, etc. into the
new account's folders to ensure I lost as little as necessary, because
I'm going to kill the old account.

Then, I went into the properties of EACH hard disc (from "My Computer")
and under Sharing, I added the new user with full access permissions
WITH subfolders, etc. selected. Then I went into the Security Tab, the
Advanced... button and made the new user the OWNER of the disk, again
WITH subfolders, etc. This can take some time... I did this, starting
with my two data discs and finishing with the Windows System disc. It
popped a few dialogue boxes asking if it was OK to assign the new user
rights to the hidden Windows folders...I OK'd it on all ocaissions.

I rebooted and logged in (confirming that the new user had all the
rights necessary), killed the old user account, rebooted, and VOILA! I
could log into it from Vista and suddenly XP could log into Vista, from
both Vista/XP sides using either UNC/IP addressing and administrative
(C$) or named shared priviledges.

This is an OLD Macintosh (circa 1995) trap/trick that occurs when the
owner's name is changed and pointers get smushed.

--
A C0mputer Guru
A C0mputer Guru's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/218006.htm

http://forums.techarena.in