Vista - default printer doesn't stay as default

Old January 21st 09, 08:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
brbgtgp

Default Vista - default printer doesn't stay as default

"brbgtgp" wrote:

Changing a User's Default Printer in the Registry
See Article ID: 156212

HKCU \Software \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Windows

Device Reg_SZ Data (here you make the device changes.)

Note: You will see the Devices folder under the CurrentVersion with the list
of printer devices installed, their spooler and connection type.

"Geekeezer" wrote:

I am having the "Can't set a default printer problem" as well. It comes
into play with me, not on a network, but all the time. The major issue,
as I saw posted somewhere else here, is with programs like Adobe Reader
(Acrobat) that only print to a default printer. In other words I can't
print PDFs. That is a real PITA as I
am a REALTOR and PDFs are my WORLD. I did see an answer by "Alan" that
mentioned some "HKEY-BLAH BLAH BLAH," But there was no info about what
to do with it. I am not a registry savvy guy. Its a new machine and the
manufacturer was no help either! This has been going on for several
months. Should I just go buy an Apple?

--
Geekeezer

So I encountered same thing today, unable to print acrobat reader.

There are a few things you should look for... This applies from win2K until
vista
HKCU\Software\Microsoft \Windows NT \Current Version \Windows

If you do not have the Windows key, borrow from a friend.
Right-click then Export the key...
Go to original workstation then double-click on printer.reg this will apply
the tree into the hive.

or Copy below into a notepad.exe and rename printer.reg
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"DebugOptions"="2048"
"Documents"=""
"DosPrint"="no"
"Load"=""
"NetMessage"="no"
"NullPort"="None"
"Programs"="com exe bat pif cmd"
"device"="Any printer name1,winspool,Ne01:"

OK. So let's move on to changing values. Let's look into Devices or
PrinterPorts
Verify your device listed.

example
Any printer name4 REG_SZ winspool, Ne03;
Any printer name3 REG_SZ winspool, Ne02;
Any printer name2 REG_SZ winspool, Ne01;
Any printer name1 REG_SZ winspool, Ne00;

In the windows key, right-click "device" then modify...
in Value data field, enter below
Any printer name1,winspool,Ne01:

Where it says "any printer name1" look into your system devices and pick one
that applies to you. (please do not stick your head inside the computer.)

ALT+F4 to close
Old April 23rd 09, 05:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
sephoratrading

TexasTbird;773318 Wrote:
I had this same problem and realized that it is caused when I RDP into
my vista box. This is due to new RDP 6.1 client default behavior. You
get RDP 6.1 with Vista SP1. A simple workaround is to uncheck the
"Printers" box in the RDP client options under "RDP - Options - Local
Resources"

I had the same problem as TexasTbird. I suspected it was the remote
desktop connection I just never looked into it until now. I remoted in
to my home machine from my laptop and it removed the default printer
setting from my home machine. I am assuming that unchecking the
"Printers" box under the Local Resources tab for the extended options
should do the trick.

It is most likely setting the default printer for the remote machine to
the default printer on the remoting machine, but doesn't seem to return
the default printer setting when you log off. This might not be your
problem but it could help others.

As for Cari's responses, I do not believe Windows Vista will
automatically select a default printer on boot. If one was not already
selected for some reason you will just not have a default and you will
need to specify a printer manually. This may cause some programs to not
be able to print until you pick a default printer. There is no reason
that the default printer should change every time Vista loads though she
speaks as if it is intended functionality. I would say reinstall all
your printers and set the default again. Also keep an eye on installed
programs that may be resetting the default for you as part of their boot
check. Perhaps the drivers for the fax machine, or a software utility
or suite that came with the fax machine has a "feature" to automatically
set it to default.

--
sephoratrading
Old November 6th 09, 05:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Fred Hof

"Freddie Kang" wrote:

I have set up several printers and have one network printer assigned as
'default' printer. I have noticed that this 'default' status for this printer
does not remain so after I shut down and reboot. It seems to default to the
Fax printer. I then have to reset the chosen printer as 'default' in order to
print. This happens not everytime I shut down - sometimes the default printer
stays as default.

Anyone have similar experiences? Solution to the problem?
Thanks.

Best regards,
S.F. Kang

S.F.,

I had a similar problem with 3 client machines. Long story short: it was a
corrupt NTuser.DAT file which we renamed .old and replaced with the
ntuser.dat file from the default user folder. This was a pain in that the
profile had to be setup from scratch again but at least default remains
default at the end of the day. Anyway, this was my experience after working
the issue w/ MS support for 10+ hours. If anyone has found a better fix I'd
be much obliged.

Old April 15th 10, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
altertek

Sometimes when you install a network printer it will not register a IP
port in the server config on your machine. What you will have to do is
go to the printer setup page and anywhere on the screen right click and
select server properties. Then go to ports and select add new port, make
sure you select add an IP port and then type in the IP address of the
printers location. After the setup of the port you should be able to
change the selected printer to default and it will not change. This is
for network printers only.

--
altertek

Old April 18th 10, 09:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
William McFarland

My network printer has an IP Port yet the default printer still changes from
this printer to the fax on re-boot. Deleting the fax printer causes the
default to change to Microsoft Document imaging. Is anyone aware of another
work around or solution?

.