Vista won't boot with HDTV Wonder installed

Old October 29th 06, 11:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ned Buckmaster

Default Vista won't boot with HDTV Wonder installed

I have a recent computer with a X1800 All-In-Wonder PCI-e graphics card and
an HDTV Wonder installed. I have both working (although it wasn't easy!)
under MCE - the analog tuner on the AIW and the digital tuner on the HDTV
Wonder. After much frustration, I finally discovered that the reason Vista
(x86 or x64) would not install, or boot after install, was the HDTV Wonder
card. If I remove the card, all is fine - although the tuner portion of the
AIW is not recognized by Vista yet.

Has anyone gotten this combo to work? Do I need to replace my HDTV Wonder
with a TV Wonder 650 to be compatable with Vista?

Ned

Old October 29th 06, 03:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Are you running RC2? RC1 and earlier required a working anlog tuner before
an HDTV tuner could be installed. I have seen a post that states that ATI
will be realeasing an AIW software driver for the most recent AIW cards for
Vista but no date was given but I assume that it will be before the retail
release in January.

.. .

Old October 30th 06, 06:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ned Buckmaster

Yes, running RC2. This has been happening on the earlier releases too. I can
understand the tuners not working yet - but the fact that Vista won't even
boot with the hardware installed has ne nervous...

Old October 30th 06, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Is one of the tuners in an AGP slot and the other in the slot next to it?
If yes move the PCI card away from the AGP card?
Have you tried disabling the AIW cards tuner in device manager then shutting
down and installing the HDTV wonder card?
When you had both tuners running in MCE2005 were they running under MC or
under XP?

Old October 30th 06, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ned Buckmaster

The AIW is in a PCI-e slot. I've tried the HDTV wonder in two different PCI
slots with the same result.

The AIW tuner doesn't show up in device manager - only the graphics portion
shows. Unknown devices listed are not the tuner - in this computer, the USB
ATI remote, the onboard Marvell SATA chip, and one other item (not the
tuner) I can't remember right now. I'm using the supplied Microsoft divers
for the video, as ATI's site list only RC1 drivers with a message NORT to
use them on RC2.

Both tuners would work under both Windows Media Center and the ATI software.
Is that what you mean?

Old October 30th 06, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Since you are using an AIW card tuner which consumes lots of CPU power I
woul suggest that you replace that card with a standard graphics card and
add an NTSC only tuner card to the system, However, you have spent a lot of
money for your card so you might be better off to wait until ATI does
release the Vista AIW drivers that support the tuner part of you card.
I have seen a lot of posts about problems with the 650 wonder dual tuner
card and would be leary of it at this time also.