Can I use Aero Glass

Old November 2nd 06, 09:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
chaos29

Default Can I use Aero Glass

hello,

I have a Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Chipset Family ( Microsoft
Corporation - XDDM ) graphic card. 128 MB

On an Acer TravelMate Notebook.
I cant find anything to enable aero, do I need any special drivers ?
or is it not possible with this graphic card to use aero ?

I am using Vista RC2

thank you

Old November 2nd 06, 01:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

Intel has not released wddm drivers for the 915 graphics. At an Intel road
show I attended last week they said they had no plans to release wddm
drivers for this chipset. They explicitly stated that Aero would not be
supported on the 915 chipset series unless you install a discrete video
card. This means laptops using 915 graphics cannot use Aero.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old November 2nd 06, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Your remarks are totally uncalled for. Apparently you do not realize that
the 915 grapichs chip does not have the required functionality internally to
support Aero and therfore Intel can not realease Aero compatible drivers for
it without incorporating the required unique CPU consuming missing functions
using vomplex snd extensive to software within the driver. And even it they
did MS would not allow the 915 chipset to be included in its designed for
Vista premium logo program since the functinality requied is not in the
chipset.
However I guess if you were around when color TV was introduced that you
were also very upset when your TV manufacturer did not upgrade your black
and white TV. Or I guess you are upset if your 720p native resolution HDTV
can not be upgraded to a 1080p native resolution.

Old November 2nd 06, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RandyH

Obviously !...GOSH...

can you tell my how many gigaflops' a nanometer vibrates at?

F INTEL! HAHA

Old November 2nd 06, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

I agree with Randy H's sentiments if not his method of expressing them. The
915 graphics does meet the specifications needed for Intel to write a wddm
driver. Even though it meets the specifications it is possible that the
performance would be too slow. Intel did not say this though. Their stated
reason for not supporting the 915 chipset with a wddm driver was because it
was too old. It was a marketing decision.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old November 2nd 06, 11:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Kerry,
I think you and JW are saying the same thing. Yes, you are correct that
nothing prevents Intel from writing WDDM driver for the 915 Chipset,
however, since functionality required such as DX9 support rather then the
DX8 support contained in the 915 chipset would have to be included in the
driver. ( Note: This is exactly what ATI did in their Catalyst drivers in
order that their 91xx and 92xx chip based graphics cards could be used with
MCE2005) And as you and JW pointed out this would cause a performance
penalty and for this reason their marketing organization did not want to
allocate the R&D resources to add the functionality to their 945 chipset
Vista driver so that it could also provide the required support for 915
chips.

Old November 3rd 06, 03:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

The 915 supports directx9 and Pixel Shader 2.0

http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/develope...1974.htm?prn=Y

http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/...r/p04_gmch.htm

http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/develope...6547.htm?prn=Y

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...G=Search&meta=

It was a marketing decision not a technical decision related to performance.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old November 3rd 06, 05:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tacwalker

Dear chaos29,
There is no doubt that the Windows Vista Aero G.U.I. requires a modern day
processor.
Alas my friend, even with goliath processing power, given your query, we
cannot forget the allmighty video card. Without its' devine black magic, the
virtual world would be, indeed...flat and featureless. And there, dear
Chaos29 lay some of your begile.

We are, "all of us using Vista", simply Beta testers. Nothing more, nothing
less. Technical specifications regarding the processing cababilities of a
personal computer required to run the Vista "Aero Theme", I do not believe
were posted in vague. Choosing to run Xp or Vista at "best appearance or, "if
your pc qualifies?...run Aero theme under Vista?" will absolutely impact your
pc's fundamental and overall performance, sometimes dramatically, regardless
of how big and bad your pc's processor.

Aero is a tiny glimpse into the future, and it is the future that holds the
answers. It is these answers that we most desire. The tech people at
Microsoft know that of us. They manage, through people like us, you and me,
to make our dreams a virtual reality.
In the software world, we (the beta testers) are the forgers' most valuable
tool, the tool that beats out the metal in the shape of our needs.

Given my limited knowledge regarding Vista at this milestone, I herald a big
NO on running Aero on your system. I doubt if it is available in your
preferrences anyway. But, if Aero is an available theme...and you opt to use
it, performance will dramatically decrease. Your system is not well
configured to run Vista with the Aero Theme running. Not enough of what is
needed. You must remember memory!

tac

Old November 3rd 06, 03:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

From some other material I can no longer locate I was under the impression
that the 82915 graphics chip ony had partial onboard hardware support the
requirements of DX9 and that the 82945 graphics chip apparently has full DX9
onboard support and that therefore some of the required DX9 functionality
for MCE was contained in the WDM drivers for MCE2005.
I would have imagined imagined that if both chips had identical support that
one set of drivers would be used for both since any minor differences in the
chips could be taken card of within a single set of drivers.
Apparently this is not the case, however, and regretfully their Marketing
did not want to see the 82915 chip used to meet Vista Premium
specifications.