Alterative Music Players

Old September 30th 07, 02:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
cvp

Default Alterative Music Players

See reply to your other reply...

"MICHAEL" wrote in message
* cvp:
O K Guys! Let me top into the wealth of knowledge here...

I'm looking for an alternative to WMP11 with the ability to deal with
music
files properly (see below...). I've worked my way through a whole bunch
of
these without success. and I'm looking for one that runs in Windows Vista
and one that runs in Ubuntu, but they don't have to be the same. It would
be
nice if they could play WMA files (lossless) but if necessary I'd be OK
with
FLAC if I can find a converter that maintains the integrity of the tags
(Media Monkey V3 Beta comes close).

So what do I mean by "properly"? I need the function (as in WMP) of
a) Holding multiple artists and composers as separate entities
(separate
from Album Artist)
b) Allowing indexing. into the library by each of the artists or
composers
c) Allowing editing of the multiple artists/ composers per track
d) Supporting ripping/tagging of multiple artists/composers via the
usual DBs

If that's confusing, perhaps an example would help:
For an album "Live Aid" with a track "Dancing in the Streets" by Mick
Jagger
and David Bowie, WMP will allow me to access the track by Album Artist
(Various), by Album Title, or by either of the two artists. It will show
both artists under "Artist" for the track by separating them with "; "
and
allow editing by entering them separated by ";" (no space). Under the
covers
it holds then as
separate ID3V2 tags using an "Artist" tag for the first artist and
multiple
"Author" tags for subsequent artists. FLAC tagging allows multiple
"Artist"
tags but there doesn't seem to be standard usage of that capability. I
guess
you could say that WMP sets its own standard - but one which works well.

Media Monkey. I love it.

They offer a free and paid version.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/
http://www.mediamonkey.com/download.htm

Take care,

Michael

Old September 30th 07, 03:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
MICHAEL

I'd be interested in knowing how it works out for you.

Take care,

Michael

* cvp:
Michael,

I'm really impressed by it as well. I updated my reply to Tim by adding:

"I'm backing off my previous reply a little after a morning's research into
the Media Monkey Forums and downloading the latest Beta of V3.
a) The multiple artists are no longer concatenated into an additional artist
b) The indexing I want is in the "wish list"
c) Apparently V3 will "make nice" with WINE (not perfect but better than
nothing)"

Paying the extra for the Gold version is not a problem. (a rounding error in
what my setup has cost!)
It'll be somewhat strange that the best Linux solution I can find is a
paid-for emulated Windows application!

I still have-to make a separate decision on WMA vs Flac

"MICHAEL" wrote in message
I just posted a reply about Media Monkey before I had seen
this post.

I like Media Monkey very much, it's well worth paying for the
Gold version. It's a lot more stable and useful than WMP.
Hopefully, V3 will do what you want.

Take care,

Michael

* cvp:
Tim,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried it. The V2 doesn't handle
multiple artists at all. The V3 Beta does recognize them in WMA tracks,
but
merely displays them all as a single artist in the artist field (same
true
for conversions, whee it actually moves them to a single tag). The
indexing
merges Album artist and Artist which is a bitconfusing. However V3 isn't
finished yet, so I'm keeping my eye on it. A pretty neat program even tho
Windows only. It's probably the closest I've found so far and easy
conversion too.

"tim" wrote in message
try media monkey the soundqualty is very good if you are a audiophile
and
it
has a good file menu

"cvp" wrote:

OK Stephan, I understand you don't want it!

"I'd download one various artist album and I'd instantly have 10-20 new
artists cluttering up my list that I didn't want there but couldn't do
anything about."

That's a different problem (Album Artist vs Artist), but, if you don't
care
about which artists are in your library, I understand this function
doesn't
mean much to you. I do care.

cvp

"Stephan Rose" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:49:48 -0400, cvp wrote:

Paul,

I've tried that using multiple artists as well - maybe my search
skills
are lacking, but all I see is forums where someone thinks it might be
"a
good idea" to add the functionality to just about every player I've
come
across.. That's why I was hoping those more experienced in the Linux
world might have come across as least one good one that could come
close
to the Windows WMP10 & 11 functionality which has been around for
years.
All I've found so far is lots and lots of simple-minded players all
performing the same function - what a waste of talent!
Honestly, most people probably don't really have a need for it. And if
anything, I personally would want a way to turn the feature OFF!
That'd
be my most important thing I'd be looking for.

And I'll tell you why too.

Napster does what you want. It creates a reference for every artist in
track. And man, I think close to 50% of the artists in my artist list
under napster I had no clue who they were!!! It drove me nuts because
it
severely cluttered up my artist list.

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
君のこと忘れたときがないから

Old September 30th 07, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Charlie Tame

Buy a large felt tip pen, cross out the word "Monkey" on the box and
write "Penguin"

Glad you found something to (almost) match the seriousness of your
collection, and there's probably more chance of things getting on the
"Wish" list if you make suggestions.

Old September 30th 07, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Stephan Rose

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:56:46 -0400, cvp wrote:

Michael,

I'm really impressed by it as well. I updated my reply to Tim by adding:

"I'm backing off my previous reply a little after a morning's research
into the Media Monkey Forums and downloading the latest Beta of V3. a)
The multiple artists are no longer concatenated into an additional
artist b) The indexing I want is in the "wish list" c) Apparently V3
will "make nice" with WINE (not perfect but better than nothing)"

Paying the extra for the Gold version is not a problem. (a rounding
error in what my setup has cost!)
It'll be somewhat strange that the best Linux solution I can find is a
paid-for emulated Windows application!

So why don't you just stick with windows then? Your condescending
attitude isn't needed in the Linux community.

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
君のこと忘れたときがないから
Old September 30th 07, 04:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
MICHAEL

* Stephan Rose:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:56:46 -0400, cvp wrote:

Michael,

I'm really impressed by it as well. I updated my reply to Tim by adding:

"I'm backing off my previous reply a little after a morning's research
into the Media Monkey Forums and downloading the latest Beta of V3. a)
The multiple artists are no longer concatenated into an additional
artist b) The indexing I want is in the "wish list" c) Apparently V3
will "make nice" with WINE (not perfect but better than nothing)"

Paying the extra for the Gold version is not a problem. (a rounding
error in what my setup has cost!)
It'll be somewhat strange that the best Linux solution I can find is a
paid-for emulated Windows application!

So why don't you just stick with windows then? Your condescending
attitude isn't needed in the Linux community.

Wow, I never expected that from you, Stephan.

-Michael
Old September 30th 07, 05:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
cvp

Fortunately your attitude as displayed in this post is not the enduring one
I expect from the Linux community as it starts to become mainstream.
I explained the "why?" earlier.
You've decided to adopt the usual "If it's not available in Linux, nobody
should need it!" attitude of current Linux afficionados that lasts just
until the function is 'discovered' in the latest release of their favorite
distro.
It's similar to the prevailing "Fakeraid" pseudo putdown.
Fine! Have a nice day!

news

Old September 30th 07, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Stephan Rose

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:32:16 -0400, MICHAEL wrote:

[...]

Well it is a little unusual for me, I give ya that. But honestly, he's
hitting a nerve with me. I'm always happy to provide help to whomever I
can. But honestly, if I go by his statements regarding Linux, if that is
how he feels, then seriously...why does he bother?

If he came into any linux related forum with statements like the one
above then most would chew him up alive, I'm still being harmless.

But hey, here is a list of all the media players available for Ubuntu.

*IF* any of that meets his needs or not, I honestly don't know.

http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2007/...available-for-
ubuntu.html

http://tinyurl.com/2lsf3j

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
君のこと忘れたときがないから
Old September 30th 07, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
James Matthews

try mplayer

--

http://www.goldwatches.com/mens/cufflinks.html
http://www.jewelerslounge.com/

Old September 30th 07, 11:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
MICHAEL

[...]

I understand your point, mostly. However, this isn't a Linux forum.
It may seem that way at times, but your a smart enough fellow to
know that it is not.

Your comment really sounded like some Windows fanatics around here,
at least they could really say to a Linux user- that this is a Vista forum
stop your condescending and bashing posts on Windows.
Of course, that doesn't stop them from berating Microsoft/Windows/Vista.
As much as some of the Microsoft apologists around here are quite
trifling, I find much of the same attitude in many Linux fanatics.
You know, fanatics of all types really suck.

Take care,

Michael