Old December 2nd 08, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
rjklindsay[_2_]

Default WinSAT for Vista Performance Index fails

Thanks for your reply.
I dont actually have this xml file, because winsat always fails, even
during Vista installation. However, after more testing I have found some
another solutions:

(1) It seems Vista doesnt like my ultra high resolution screens: WUXGA
(1920x1200)
The laptops can all run Vista Glass if I downgrade to WXGA (1280x800).
(Yuk!)
Simply setting a lower resolution doesnt work. I have to replace the
screen.
Im guessing that is why all the newest laptops come with crappy WXGA
screens?

(2) I found a very old pre-release beta driver for Vista RC1 from the
SoftPedia website, which do not even need winsat scores to work. I'm
guessing that that part of the driver code was not yet complete, so
Vista cant tell them to turn off glass.
These drivers run Glass, but dont seem to have OpenGL support yet, but
its better than nothing.

However, I have found a solution to this problem too!
During my struggles with Vista drivers, I tried some radical ideas,
like Ubuntu Linux.
As a Windows software developer, Linux scared the crap out of me, but,
to my surprise, I found that Linux Wine can run ALL my favourite Windows
software AND Games, even on my WUXGA screen! And the spinning 3D cube in
the Compiz 3D Desktop looks/works so much better than Vista Glass!
Now I'll much rather switch to Linux, than downgrade my laptop.

--
rjklindsay