Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?

Old December 26th 07, 07:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
nalbon

Default Windows cannot find file when clicking on file?

Hi thanks for your tip as well, nothing in the start-up folder

have a good holiday

Nigel

"Greyson" wrote:

I was having this problem frequently, but it only started after I
installed a plug-in for Word - specifically the EndNote CWYW plugin.
Since I had to install files manually, in the
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Sta rtup\ directly, I
found that removing them immediately solved my problem.

Perhaps plug-ins that are being loaded with your office apps are
causing the trouble. Although just a guess, you might try shutting a
few of them off temporarily, or looking in the Excel and Word startup
directories (there is a similar one for Excel). If there are files, you
might try temporarily moving them.

Good luck with your issue!

--
Greyson

Old December 27th 07, 01:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
hankuk

Hi there

I've experienced exactly the same problem. Bad news is that I'm no
closer to resolving it.

The good news is though, that I've managed to find a clue.

I found that I could prevent the problem by disabling my antivirus. I
use AVG Free edition. As soon as I turned on the AVG and booted Word
(or any Office product) from a dbl click document in explorer then the
problem occured.

What AV software are u using? and does disabling the AV help?

Hank

--
hankuk
hankuk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=38292

http://forums.techarena.in

Old February 3rd 08, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jesse J Pelley

I have (had) the exact same problem, only it occurs EVERY time i open a .docx
file from explorer. I, too, have Office 2007 and Windows Vista and found this
really annoying. Reinstalling anything won't work, I've tried uninstalling
and reinstalling Office myself.

I came across this solution he
http://help.wugnet.com/office/Window...derasc-40.html

SOLUTION:
-Run regedit (Start menu, run, etc.) and go to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\ Addins
(I had three addins here, two from Adobe and one from Microsoft.)
-Export all the addins to a reg file (for backup)
-Then delete all of them in the registry (or one at a time if you want to
know which addin is causing the problem, i didn't bother with that)
-Now try opening a .docx or .doc file in windows explorer and find that
document loads properly with out any error messages!
-now exit MS Word and open the reg file(s) you exported and import them back
-try opening a .docx file again and it appears that the problem is fixed.
This made me really happy! lol.

This also fixed the same problem with excel. It's weird that this problem
happens in the first place and it's even more odd this somehow fixes it.
Please reply if this doesn't work, it's already been two days after I've
done this and there hasn't been any problems so far.

Cheers.

"mlsoup" wrote:

I get the error message when double clicing on misc documents within my
folders that says "windows cannot find the specified file, please make sure
that you have typed the name correctly and please try again." I can open up
any document from within the application itself by going to file/open finding
the file and opening it that way.

It is extremely random though. It only happens on some of the files. It
happens on older version files (office 2003) and newer version files created
(2007). I can right mouse click the file and specify open with and open the
file with the program that it needs to run it but this is random as well.

I have reinstalled Vista (brand new) pc for the second time trying to fix
this problem and it will not go away. It is driving me crazy!

I have looked all over the web and these dicussions and nobody has ever a
succesful fix for this problem. I am not alone......

I have also unstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 three times. Also
performed repair function. Activation codes all gone now..... I have tried
everything that I have read in previous threads to no avail.
--
Thank you,
Matt Campbell

Old July 29th 08, 09:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
psydeways

Default Windows cannot find . . . Solution for me!

I had the same error trying to open some Doc & DocX files from Vista Windows Explorer, and yet the same files opened fine within Word 2007. I checked the programs associated with the various file extensions and found many of the Word files were associated with MS WORD VIEWER. I am guessing that this user's computer initially had MS WORD VIEWER & Office 2007 was later installed. After some experimentation, I deleted MS WORD VIEWER (via control panel), rebooted, launched Word 2007 directly & Word automatically changed all of the file extension associations to Word. All is well again.

Manually changing the file extensions was not sufficient (I suspect the user was accidentally launching Word Viewer sometimes which switched back the associations).

I wonder if the Excel & PowerPoint viewers can cause similar problems . . .
Old November 16th 08, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
BleepingCrazy[_2_]

hey guys sorry to drag up an old thread. but i've been having problems
with various file types on my pc lately. when i double click some files
i get the "windows cannot find" error and when i right-click on the file
itself i get this at the top of the context menu "*[open("%1")]*" (no
outside quotes)

anyone know a solution? NB: no probs with office docs

--
BleepingCrazy
Old November 17th 08, 06:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
st

Old November 17th 08, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
BleepingCrazy[_2_]

its a fresh install of vista only. happened again after i downloaded all
the recommended updates.

i was getting it before re-installing too as there were some file
association problems that were driving me nuts (its my work pc)

--
BleepingCrazy
Old November 19th 08, 01:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
BleepingCrazy[_2_]

ok using Acronis True Image Home 2009, I went back to my 1st image
post-install. and it still had this "*[open("%1")]*" but from what i
can see its just on my cakewalk files "*.cwp"...i have some other audio
programs on the same pc and they have no problem at all. must be just a
cakewalk error rather than a vista thing. unless there is a way to fix
it in vista?

is there a way to ADD a program to "default programs"?

--
BleepingCrazy
Old November 19th 08, 04:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Louie[_5_]

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:15:32 -0600, BleepingCrazy
wrote:

ok using Acronis True Image Home 2009, I went back to my 1st image
post-install. and it still had this "*[open("%1")]*" but from what i
can see its just on my cakewalk files "*.cwp"...i have some other audio
programs on the same pc and they have no problem at all. must be just a
cakewalk error rather than a vista thing. unless there is a way to fix
it in vista?

is there a way to ADD a program to "default programs"?

You merely right-click the file you are having a problem with, then
choose "open with".

Find the program by browsing, make sure the box it ticked that says
"always use this..." or something to that effect.