NVidia GeForce 7300GS and RC2 Dual display - very odd

Old November 6th 06, 09:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Stuart

Default NVidia GeForce 7300GS and RC2 Dual display - very odd

With the above card connected to a 17" 1280x1024 panel on the digital out,
and a 32" 1360x768 LCD TV on the DVI output.

This set-up worked correctly with RC1, with RC2 the 322 analog TV is the
first display (identifies as #1) and the digital 17" panel is #2. I can
change the primary display OK, but the display modes are all mucked up!

Both displays show up in device manager as Generic PnP Monitors. If I check
the "hide modes my monitor cannot display" box then both have a max
resolution of 1280x1024 (norrowscreen aspect). Unchecking the "hide modes..."
box allows me to select 1360x768 on the 17" 4:3 display, but the closest I
can achieve on the 32" widescreen TV is 1280x720, the display looks fuzzy and
gives me nightmare headaches after just half an hour or so.

This behaviour is the same if I use the bundled Vista drivers as it is with
the Nvidia ones signed by the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility Publisher,
version 96.85. I can't manage to get Vista to install different monitor
without a monitor.inf file, and none of the autodetection routines help.

Is there a way to get the 32" widescreen display set to 1360x768? I can't
use the TV as is, the settings make it unwatchable.

Is Vista going backwards? Its either RC1 or clean-install XPMCE!
Old November 7th 06, 11:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Stuart

I managed to set the TVs display to the proper values by hacking the
registry. The Display settings applet is still useless, but at least the
fuzzy shimmering video problem has gone.

They call this a Release Candidate?