Changing the microprocessor

Old October 1st 07, 04:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

Default Changing the microprocessor

So If I want to change my micro to a new faster dual-core version, will I
have to re-load Windows (Vista), etc. or can I just swop the old micro out
for the new one and boot up as normal? (The old one is also a dual-core).
Both Intel types.
Thanks in advance.
Old October 1st 07, 06:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Upgrading to a different CPU should not make any difference
and you'll be able to boot-up normally.

Old October 1st 07, 06:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DOMINATOR

im pretty sure you can, i changed my motherboard, ram, CPU and graphics
card and diddnt need to reformat however i did just incase it would mean
a performance increase and so i could upgrade to vista 64 bit.

answer: you dont need to reformat, you should be able to just swap them
as long as they both use the same socket (make sure before you buy it).

--
DOMINATOR

[image: http://www.l33tsig.net/sig/1/DOMINATOR.png]

My Rig:
-E6550 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo
-P35 DS3 mobo
-8800GTS 320MB GFX Card
-2GB 800Mhz RAM
Old October 1st 07, 06:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

Thanks, Guys. I have the Intel E6850 ready to plug in.
I also found out that in Vista, you need to force Vista to recognise the new
processor in "Device Manager". Check out the Microsoft support info at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930861/en-us

Old October 2nd 07, 10:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

I have now installed the new processor and it went okay as far as the
computer goes, i.e. did not have to change anything in Windows. I did have a
problem though, my fault. On booting up the first time the processor was only
running at 2GHz, (should have been 3GHz), and Windows Vista's performance
indicator actually fell below the old processor. Then I noticed the processor
temperature was up at 70 deg! Then the computer switched off. Guess what. The
processor heat-sink was hanging on by two posts. That stupid system Intel
uses to secure the heatsink onto the motherboard which seems to be designed
not to work properly unless you press the posts so hard there is danger of
breaking the motherboard. Anyway I got it fixed second time around and
fortunately the processor turned itself off due to overheating without any
damage. So I get a Vista processor performance score of 5.6 with an Intel
Core Duo E6850 running at 3GHz with a front side bus running at 1333 MHz and
2GB Corsair 1333MHz RAM on an ASUS P5K3 Deluxe motherboard and an ASUS EN8800
GTS video card. ALl the other Vista performance indicators (video, etc.), are
up at 5.9. (Just in case anyone is interested). Okay. Bye. David.

Old October 2nd 07, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BENAGLIA

Good work David,
"Do it yourself" is great when it all goes as it should. Had your same
problem with the stupid Intel system of securing the heatsink onto the
motherboard. My fault and I'm now very carefully everytime I assemble a new
pc.

AndyB

Old October 3rd 07, 09:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DOMINATOR

yea, a lot of computers can turn themselves off before a part is
damaged, thats the only reason i decided to put mine together and i was
fine. I accidentally put to power things into my 8800GTS graphics card
(it had 2 sockets on the converter thingo so i assumed i needed to put
them into 2 power cables) and it shut itself off 3 seconds after i
turned it on. No harm done like you it gets a rating of 5.9 for
graphics. Processor is an E6550 2.33Ghz, similair to yours (but yours is
way better) and gets 5.4.

Old October 3rd 07, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BENAGLIA

With my little machine, 6600 2.40 GHz I keep a steady 5.9 on graphics and
it's by far the best and most stable system I've worked with so far.
Lot's of home work before going for it and at the end of it all went for an
Asus P5W DH DeLuxe motherboard, Dual core 6600 2.40 GHz, 4 Gb Ram and Raid 0
hard disk system. Operating system Vista Business 64 Bit. So far have had
less problems then what I thought and for sure less then what I had with Xp
years back.
Next step want to try Raid 5 disks..

Evening to all

AndyB

news

Old October 5th 07, 05:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

Actually, funny you mention RAID. I was using RAID-0 on my previous
motherboard for real time data protection and it went well for quite some
time and then I started having problems with the HDD's thrashing about and
taking ages to boot up, etc. Then I starterd getting error messages about the
HDD's. So I start panicking thinking my HDD's are about to pack up. So I
download test software from HDD suppliers and find nothing wrong. Then I
suspect that the m/board RAID controller is at fault. So I disabled the RAID
and no problems after that. Now I am wary of on-board RAID controllers. I
think next time a separate RAID card might be the better way to go. Problem
now is to find space to put the card in. Bye. David.