USB drivers

Old October 1st 07, 01:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Seven

Default USB drivers

I have Vista Home installed a main PC and a laptop. I have no problem
connecting USB flash drives or card readers to laptop.

However, on main PC, I can't. Everytime I try and connect a flash drive,
card reader and my camera, Vista insists on looking for drivers, but can't
find them even if I tell it to look in the windows folder. For some reason,
Vista also thinks that these USB items are CD-ROM drives!!!!

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? It's getting to be a right pain, I
even went out and bought a new flash drive and card reader just to see if it
did the same thing. It does!!!!!!!!

Is anyone from Microsoft reading this????????????????

TIA
Seven
Old October 2nd 07, 03:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PaulB

From a post by Cal Bear '66

"Locate the file INFCACHE.1 in C:\Windows\inf

Right click on the INFCACHE.1 file, select Properties Security Edit, and
give
your account full control.

Delete INFCACHE.1, or rename it to INFCACHE.1.BAK or temporarily move to your
desktop.

REBOOT"

Windows will rebuild the cache.
--
Paul

Old October 2nd 07, 07:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Seven

Hi

Many thanks. I'd already tried this and it didn't work. But, I did find a
post that said there was a hotfis for USB problems, which you had to contact
MS for. I did and got the fix. Everything seems to be working now.

Regards
Seven

From a post by Cal Bear '66

Old October 3rd 07, 06:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message Seven
wrote:

Many thanks. I'd already tried this and it didn't work. But, I did find a
post that said there was a hotfis for USB problems, which you had to contact
MS for. I did and got the fix. Everything seems to be working now.

Do you happen to have a KB number?

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old October 3rd 07, 08:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Seven

"DevilsPGD" wrote:

In message Seven
wrote:

Many thanks. I'd already tried this and it didn't work. But, I did find a
post that said there was a hotfis for USB problems, which you had to contact
MS for. I did and got the fix. Everything seems to be working now.

Do you happen to have a KB number?

This is link

Regards
Old October 3rd 07, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message Seven
wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote:

In message Seven
wrote:

Many thanks. I'd already tried this and it didn't work. But, I did find a
post that said there was a hotfis for USB problems, which you had to contact
MS for. I did and got the fix. Everything seems to be working now.

Do you happen to have a KB number?

This is link

Thanks!

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.