documents stuck in printer que

Old October 1st 07, 05:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Seth

Default documents stuck in printer que

When I have a document that I am printing and for some reason it doesn't
print I try to eliminate it from the que and it just sits there trying to
delete but without success. I have tried disconnecting the usb cable from
both printer and computer, Unplugging the power. Dancing on one foot and
giving various hand gesters.
Old October 2nd 07, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
PosterInNews

Stop the spooler service in services:

Option 1)
Click on start orb
Type in search window:
services.msc
click ok
Scroll down to Print spooler service and click on it in the right side
window.
On the left side click stop the service and wait forthe process to
stop
Do not close the window yet. You will have to restart it here later.
next delete the print job in the printer queue
then restart the spooler service
Resubmit your new print job.

Option 2)
If that doesn't clear it, the next step would be to stop the spooler
service as stated above
Go into windows explorer
(Print job data is collected and stored in a spool file in the spooler
folder.)

It is located in:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS

Your print job will show 2 files there Example below:
00002.SHD
00002.SPL

Delete the files located in there. There may be several of them
depending apon how many print jobs you submitted. You will have to
resubmit your print jobs all over again.
Next go back to services window and restart the spooler service

That will definitely fix it.

Old October 2nd 07, 07:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Seth

wrote:

When I have a document that I am printing and for some reason it doesn't
print I try to eliminate it from the que and it just sits there trying to
delete but without success. I have tried disconnecting the usb cable from
both printer and computer, Unplugging the power. Dancing on one foot and
giving various hand gesters.

I found the print spooler (thanks) when I stopped the print spool and went
back and tried to delete all the documents in the que it eliminated all of
them except the one it was deleting and that is still there. I restarted the
print spool and the deleting document is still there.
Old October 3rd 07, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Seth

Well I am back-I did option 1 and it did not work so I was doing option two
and I got to the screen where it had two items in the spooler-print folder
and I try to delete them and I get a screen that they can't be deleted
because they are open in another file. I closed all other files except those
I used to get to the spooler-print window. I now know what I have to delete
but I can't figure out how to do it. Yes I did shut down and restart
computer. Thanks Seth

Old October 3rd 07, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Since the spooler is stopped, it sounds like there is another process that
has a handle open to the files. This would be the reason that the spooler
cannot delete the job. Find the other printer vendor provided software and
stop those service(s) until you find the one that is holding a reference to
the job files. It's most like some job or ink monitor software that is
causing the handle reference which will block the spooler from deleting the
jobs until the other software releases the files.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team