Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

Problem with Age of Empires II

Old October 2nd 07, 12:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
cosarrara

Default Problem with Age of Empires II

After install Age of Empires II, i try to play, but it not run and the
message is: "Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video
card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw"
My Pc is new, i have a good ATI card and i try with the solutions proposed
in this link without any result:
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...2902&x=22&y=12

Can anyone help me, please??!! :s
Old October 5th 07, 02:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Mark

Its possible this is AOEII's way of reporting missing DirectX components.
Try going to www.microsoft.com/directx and clicking the download button.
This will install DirectX 9.0c on your system. It will NOT interfere with
the normal DirectX10 you got with Vista. What it will do is add some missing
pieces that MS didn't include with DirectX10.

Hope that helps!
Mark

Old October 14th 07, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Dustin Harper

Make sure you have the newest ATI drivers (http://ati.amd.com), and try
installing DX 9 (you can get it off the MS site, or it may be included on
the AoE2 CD).

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com

Old December 7th 07, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
same problem but still need help[_2_]

i have the same problem an i also cant find any solution. i went to google
and i saw a forum post by someone how has saying he has having problems in
multiplayer mode, to have this problems he should be able to start the game
he also sead he has using vista home premium. if find any solution let me
know please, my email is .

Old December 7th 07, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
same problem but still need help[_2_]

were can i find direct x 9 for vista? when i go to your link it gives me the
direct X 10.
please help me again because i am a complete pc noob.

Old December 26th 07, 09:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
guppywily

Default In-game problem

As soon as i start a game and the map appears, the scroll box automatically
starts climbing to the top of the screen. i switched out keyboards to see if
a button was stuck; didnt work. my mouse seems operational. are there any
software problems that could be responsible for this? if anybody can help,
plz email me at
Old April 15th 08, 04:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Gusanto

hello unit,

I have the same problem, I tried to solve it with your suggestion but
it doesn't work for me, please help me.

I extracted the files of the zip to my desktop after that i copied them
to my aoeii directory but it doesn't work, I'm following the steps
correctly?

Please answer me.

Gusanto

--
Gusanto
Old April 15th 08, 06:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Unit92

Gustano: firstly im making 2 assumptions.
1. your problem is the same as the OP:

cosarrara;468949 Wrote:
After install Age of Empires II, i try to play, but it not run and the
message is: "Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your
video
card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw"
My Pc is new, i have a good ATI card and i try with the solutions
proposed
in this link without any result:
'\"Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card
and driver are compatible with DirectDraw\" error message when you start
Age of Empires II'
(http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...2902&x=22&y=12)

Can anyone help me, please??!! :s

2: that you are extracting all 3 files to both the age of empires
directory and the subdirectory created by conquerors.

If this is the case you may not have the specific Permissions to
initiate Direct3D under your system so i would suggest selecting Run as
Administrator" under the file options.

see if that helps

--
Unit92
Old April 16th 08, 01:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Gusanto[_2_]

Hello,

Thank you for answer me, I have many time without solve this problem,
sice I changed my ati radeon x1950 pro to my geforce 8800 gt.

1. Yes, that is my problem. ("Could not initialize graphics system.
Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with
DirectDraw" error message when you start Age of Empires II), sometimes
appear that message but other times starts the presentation of the game
and then appear a black screen and when I move my mouse appear many
diferent colors.

2. I can't extract the files directly to my game's directory. so i had
to extract them to my desktop and then i copied them to the games,
should be work??

I have a geforce 8800 gt, original windows vista and the game is also
original.

Thank you.

Gusanto

--