external harddrive problem

Old November 10th 06, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
thebeeman

Default external harddrive problem

I have a 300GB Maxtor PATA133 HDD plugged into a Bytec external enclosure.
When its plusgged into my usb 2.0 port on my comp. windows reads the HDD as
2048GB...now i know i don't have a 2TB harddrive....The odd thing is that
when plugged into a IDE cable internally it works just fine. Is there any
config. I need to do to make windows recognize the right hdd size?
Any help would be greatly appericated.
thanks alot.

note: I'm running sp2 with all the updates.

Old November 10th 06, 06:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom Ferguson

For some reason, the firmware in the enclosure is not properly
recognising the HD you have installed.

There is an update available for that model's firmware. It might be
relevant for your particular unit. It might be relevant to the problem
you are experienciong.

http://www.byteccusa.com/driver.htm

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"thebeeman" wrote in message
:I have a 300GB Maxtor PATA133 HDD plugged into a Bytec external
enclosure.
: When its plusgged into my usb 2.0 port on my comp. windows reads the
HDD as
: 2048GB...now i know i don't have a 2TB harddrive....The odd thing is
that
: when plugged into a IDE cable internally it works just fine. Is there
any
: config. I need to do to make windows recognize the right hdd size?
: Any help would be greatly appericated.
: thanks alot.
:
: note: I'm running sp2 with all the updates.