Vista and Printer (HP6110xi)

Old October 3rd 07, 01:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
ms624

Default Vista and Printer (HP6110xi)

Computer came with Windows December 2007 with a free Vista Upgrade when it
was to come out. Downloaded Drivers for my HP6110xi All-In-One (Costco) and
it worked fine. Got the Vista in June...still fine. Got the newest version of
Java 7/2/07. Could still print but could not deposit checks via scan to my
bank. Tried to fix problem via my banks CS....could not. Used my LT to
deposit/scan checks to my bank. LT died. Back to my PC. Cannot scan checks.
Can't even print now (see below).

What happened:

Message 1: "The scanner cannot be initialized because it was not found.
Check scanner. Scanner software may be installed improperly."

Message 2: "Unable to communicate with HP scanning software...verify it has
been installed"

Froze up after Message 1. Did not freeze after message 2.

This is what I did:

After Message 1: Checked all cords cables. Shutdown unplugged everything.
Disable the startup group...re-enabled. Uninstalled Drivers for
Printer.....installed new ones. Down graded my version of Java to the
previous. Did a test print of one page. Went to my Bank's www site...cannot
scan. Did a second install of driver updates via the Device Manager and it's
prompts. Tried to scan....got message 2. Tried to print....nada. Did a Roll
Back of the printer download.....still Nada. Here is the odd one....6110xi
Drivers are not referenced in the "Uninstall" list I get to via the "Control
Panel"....was there when I uninstalled the old version....keep in mind I did
get one test page to print after the new driver install. The Drivers, labeled
as 6110xi, ARE listed via the Device Manager. (Did two uninstalls....one via
the Device Manager...one via the Control Panel...wierd...I am a novice).

I really don't know what else to do other than buy a new All-In-One.

thanks,

ms
Old October 3rd 07, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Make sure you have the latest version of Java:
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Did you ask HP for assistance, since it appears it's their software which
isn't quite Java compliant?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Old October 3rd 07, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

Which version of VISTA are you using?

In article , Ms624 wrote:

Used my LT to*
deposit/scan checks to my bank. LT died. Back to my PC. Cannot scan checks.*
Can't even print now (see below).

and

Message 1: "The scanner cannot be initialized because it was not found.*
Check scanner. Scanner software may be installed improperly." *

Message 2: "Unable to communicate with HP scanning software...verify it has*
been installed"

I had this type of message when I first tried to get my very old HP SJ5P scsi
scanner recognized in VISTA but it is because it uses TWAIN to communicate
with the system and VISTA does not recognize TWAIN. But I did what I did with
Windows 2000 and XP and that is go back to very old HP Deskcan 2.9 software
which installs TWAIN (doing this with Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) turned
off in Services while installing) and all is fine now.

I'm not suggesting that you try installing this software but what I would do
after reading this HP document on installing VISTA drivers (in VISTA it says
but restricted)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=en&cc=us&dlc=
en&product=79480&lang=en

is to uninstall everything and install the XP software on the HP website if
you go to this location:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...us&dlc=en&prod
uct=79480&lang=en

The first thing I note there is that not only is there a complete software
package but there are many updates and fixes including to the firmware in the
printer that deals with a number of problems so I would also download these as
well.

Note that the firmware update says:

The hp all-in-one software for the OfficeJet 6100 series must be installed
on your PC before installing this firmware update. The OfficeJet 6100 series
must also be connected to your PC and turned on before proceeding.

so go ahead and install the Full software package (maybe you have it on CD
already?) but do this using what VISTA calls Compatibility mode.

To do this, if you are using the CD don't let it autostart but select the file
on the CD that starts the installation procedure -- often setup.exe or
cdstart.exe or even autorun.exe -- and right mouse click on it. Then select
Properties and the Compatibility TAB and on that put a check mark where it
says Compatibility mode and select XP with SP2. While you are there put a
check mark where it says Run as Administrator and OK your way out.

Again follow the instructions carefully since they say, for installing the big
software package:

If you have already installed the software for this device and you are
either upgrading or re-installing you will need to disconnect the USB cable
from your all-in-one, turn the device off, and then uninstall the software.
The previous installation can be removed by running the Uninstall Software
program via the START\Programs\Hewlett-Packard menu or via Add/Remove Programs
in the Windows control panel. Please reboot your PC when prompted.

With USB devices keeping the USB cable disconnected from the PC until told to
plug it in or until the installation is finished is essential.

After you install the main software package, then install the updates and
fixes including the update to the firmware of the AIO. Again use the
compatibility mode and Run as Administrator, this time selecting the file you
have downloaded which of course you should Download as SAVE and not as RUN !

Good luck ....

PS I don't know the relevance or otherwise of the Java stuff to getting the
AIO running. Solve that first and then if you bank has a special requirement
sort that out with them.

Old October 11th 07, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
tootsy

On Oct 2, 8:49 pm, ms624 wrote:
[...]

The issue I had was that I could PRINT but the HP DIRECTOR only had an
icon for "View and Print" nothing for pix or document scanning or for
copying. Only thing I did b-4 the issue was I downloaded JAVA. I
unloaded JAVA and un-installed/re-installed the 6110 and everything
installed ok and is working fine. After installation was complete and
all functions tested, I installed JAVA again and everything was still
ok. JAVA.... can you beleive it! WEIRD!!