Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallelconnection)...

Old October 3rd 07, 06:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
HeyBub

Default Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection)...

Phillip Pi wrote:
"While the printer is supported natively in Vista, by using the
Parallel to USB cable you would need to have the cable be able to
support Vista. Unfortunately the Belkin cables do not support Vista."
I forgot to mention that the box said it didn't say Vista (98 to XP).
Is this true? I don't see how this would not work. What if one wants
to run Linux?

Why would anyone want to run Linux? Just asking.

Old October 3rd 07, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Phillip Pi

On 10/3/2007 11:50 AM PT, HeyBub wrote:

Phillip Pi wrote:
"While the printer is supported natively in Vista, by using the
Parallel to USB cable you would need to have the cable be able to
support Vista. Unfortunately the Belkin cables do not support Vista."
I forgot to mention that the box said it didn't say Vista (98 to XP).
Is this true? I don't see how this would not work. What if one wants
to run Linux?

Why would anyone want to run Linux? Just asking.

As an alternative OS. Dual boot, replacing Windows, whatever. I use it too.
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
Old October 3rd 07, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Saucy[_8_]

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Phillip Pi wrote:
"While the printer is supported natively in Vista, by using the
Parallel to USB cable you would need to have the cable be able to
support Vista. Unfortunately the Belkin cables do not support Vista."
I forgot to mention that the box said it didn't say Vista (98 to XP).
Is this true? I don't see how this would not work. What if one wants
to run Linux?

Why would anyone want to run Linux? Just asking.

People get curious, hear the nonsense about it, try it out, and once they
install it are willing to overlook the fact that half their hardware doesn't
work or at least not at full capacity .. then realize it takes just a moment
to change the screen resolution (just like Windows - whoopee) then go ahead
and do it a couple times only to have it crash on the third time and then
they have to spend hours and hours an hours trying to find the innumerable
and diverse config files to fix the buggered up screen resolution and once
they do find them they look at the config files and try to figure out how to
fix it and get snubbed at the Linux newsgroups with their "if you don't
already know you are stupid and beneath us attittude" .. so they go ahead
and try something only to have quagmire get thicker until they give up in
complete frustration and install Windows, what, with a few drivers install
runs fine and updates automatically.

Saucy

Old October 3rd 07, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , Ant wrote:

USB Parallel Printer Adapter

We find over in the Compuserve PCHardware support that getting those
devices working for a printer is a rarity! The first thing is to get it
recognized in Device Manager and then to hope that VISTA will see the
printer through it. But it's chancy.

Frankly it's a good time to get a new printer. I "sacrificed" my lovely
DJ722C when VISTA came along and got one of the Photosmart 8250
printers and it is beautiful -- fast and wonderful prints.

It's no longer in production but there are others using the same 02
Vivera 6 ink tank cartridges as well as simpler 3 color + black
printers using Vivera inks. Check out www.salescircular.com for weekly
specials at the computer stores in your State.

Old October 3rd 07, 11:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Phillip Pi

On 10/3/2007 2:16 PM PT, huwyngr wrote:

In article , Ant wrote:

USB Parallel Printer Adapter

We find over in the Compuserve PCHardware support that getting those
devices working for a printer is a rarity! The first thing is to get it
recognized in Device Manager and then to hope that VISTA will see the
printer through it. But it's chancy.

Thanks. It looks like my friend will have to return the non-working USB
to parallel acable get a new printer (USB and Vista supported).

I also didn't get an e-mail reply from Belkin about it too.
Old October 4th 07, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

Glad to help ..... especially as a Norton user who doesn't diss it like
so many here! g

You don't have to be a Compuserve subscriber any more to use it and the
PCHardware is particularly good on advice on printers and scanners
since apart from the personal experience of users there, one of my
fellow sysops works for one of the large stores and shares experience
of customer satisfaction and problems!

Check out: http://community.compuserve.com/pchardware

What I said about USB to parallel adapters includes his experience that
most customers who buy them return them as inoperative ....

Old October 5th 07, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ant[_2_]

On 10/4/2007 2:49 PM PT, huwyngr typed:

Glad to help ..... especially as a Norton user who doesn't diss it like
so many here! g

You don't have to be a Compuserve subscriber any more to use it and the
PCHardware is particularly good on advice on printers and scanners
since apart from the personal experience of users there, one of my
fellow sysops works for one of the large stores and shares experience
of customer satisfaction and problems!

Check out: http://community.compuserve.com/pchardware

What I said about USB to parallel adapters includes his experience that
most customers who buy them return them as inoperative ....

What is/are the URL(s) to the USB to parallel adapter discussion(s)?
--
"It doesn't matter what your D&D manual says, you did not get 5
experience points for killing the giant ant in your kitchen." --BBspot's
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old October 5th 07, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ant[_2_]

I got an e-mail reply from Belkin finally, and it is confirmed Vista
won't work with it:

"Hi Ant ,

Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support.

We understand that are facing a problem to take a print windows vista.

To resolve the issue,please follow the below instruction

This product doesn`t support windows vista and we don`t have any drivers
for this product. We have a driver for 2000, Xp, 98SE.

If you need further assistance please feel free to write back to us and
we will be happy to assist you.

Ant, if you have any other questions or problems you may also call us
toll free at 800-223-5546 (Extn. 21). Alternatively, call us on 310 898
1100 Ext. 21.

Regards,

Vincent Connors
Belkin Technical Support"
--
"The ants are back Ted!" --Dougal from Father Ted TV show.
/\___/\

Old October 5th 07, 03:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Saucy[_8_]

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Ask your network supply guy about a
'CAT5 crossover cable' .

Saucy