Repair Windows Installer Service in Vista (All Versions)

Old August 17th 08, 11:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
[email protected]

Default Repair Windows Installer Service in Vista (All Versions)

This solution didn't work for me. I did all the steps and replaced
the
registry key, but nothing happened, i kept getting the same error.

I have the problem kinda pinpointed though: at least in my case, it's
caused by one of the windows updates - i haven't figured out which
one
yet though. My next step will be install the updates one by one to
figure out which one is messing the whole thing up, but that takes a
lot of time

The weird thing is, with so many people complaining about it, howcome
haven't they issued a report about it yet... I'm seriously thinkin
bout going back to XP
Old August 18th 08, 06:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
daniellouwrens

You must have UAC on to install or uninstall Adobe/Acrobat products

cheers

Daniel

--
daniellouwrens
daniellouwrens's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/daniellouwrens.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old November 17th 09, 05:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
mosbakk123

this did not work for me:S
i followed all the steps and when i tryed to start the windows
installer i get the same as i did befo the service windows installer
started and stopped again some services stopps when its not in use of
some program...
srry for my bad english and i tryed to translate from norwegian hope u
can help me xD
thanks

--
mosbakk123

Old January 25th 10, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
lacolocho

Those links for the reg files are no longer working.

Can someone please upload a clean copy of that reg file?

Thanks!

--
lacolocho
Old May 11th 10, 03:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
F'n Vista

Here is a fix that I have finally found and it worked on my computer.

For the past month, I have been trying to install the 64bit edition of
Itunes onto my mom's new computer. She has Vista Home Premium 64bit
edition.
Everytime we tried to install itunes we would receive this error:

"The Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if
you are running windows in safe mode, or if windows installer is not
correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance"

Actually, everytime we tried to install any 64bit program we would
receive this same error. I searched high and low and tried countless
solutions.
Unregistering and reregistering the installer service, stopping and
restarting, using the Windows installer cleanup utility, etc...none of
these things helped.

Today I came across a blog "Think#Knowledge Blog" that SOLVED my
problem.

This is the solution that worked for me:

Go to this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSIServer

Look for
WOW64 and it's value.
Is it 0x00000001 (1) ?

This value tells Windows Installer only to deal with 32-bit installers
and to return you an error whenever you try to install something that is
64-bit. To fix it, just set the value to 0. So you will see in your
editor:

WOW64 REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)

After changing the value to zero, restart your Windows Installer Service
by using services.msc or reboot.

This simple solution of changing the 1 to a 0 allowed me to finally
install Itunes on Vista 64.

--
F'n Vista
F'n Vista's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/218812.htm