Old December 22nd 08, 09:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mark H[_2_]

Default Product Key on bottom of Laptop faded ! help

Doesn't matter what install disc is used. The PID determines the
installation.

The PID derived with a third party product will reveal the manufacturer's
volume PID typically tied to the BIOS. This will not be the PID on the
label.

"David B." wrote in message
That product key is OEM, are you installing from an OEM installation disc?

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"Guy seeking help" wrote in message
I just prchased a laptop from a store. I couldnt find the product key. So
decided to look underneath the laptop. I located all the serial numbers
and
the product key. When I enter the product key I receive a message saying
that
it's wrong. I made sure the letters and numbers were correct several
times
but it still won't work. Can any help?
--
Guy seeking help

"Malke" wrote:

Brink wrote:

I had a OEM product key number for a version of Vista I had before and
this program posted by Chinga69 above showed the correct product key
number, and not the same product ID number shown under System in
Vista.

I'm not talking about generic OEM keys. Naturally the product key you
see in
a key finder program will match the one on the COA if you use a generic
OEM.

However, unless the OP comes back with more information about the
situation,
the issue is moot and the thread is dead.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers