ATI X1600 AGP 512MB - blue screen during setup (driver in infinite loop)

Old November 18th 06, 10:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Colin Nash [MVP]

Default ATI X1600 AGP 512MB - blue screen during setup (driver in infinite loop)

Anyone had any success with the ATI X1600 AGP 512MB video card? Tried
several times and always got a blue screen with this card during setup,
saying driver stuck in infinite loop. The only way I was able to get Vista
installed was to slap in another video card (ATI X800... older but better
card, but partially fried due to a fan failure and doesn't work for 3d games
anymore), install the newer ATI Catalyst drivers (8.31.100.0) to get through
setup and initial configuration, and then slap the X1600 back in afterwards,
which luckily uses the same driver. Works perfectly now that I made it
through setup, presumably because of the newer driver. It's almost as if
the driver on the Vista DVD can't handle this card, but insists on trying
to. I suppose I could also have figured out how to tell setup to just use a
default VGA driver instead of it's built-in ATI driver.

I tried some RC2 builds too and they had the same problem with this card
during setup.

32bit version of Vista on a Asus P4P800E motherboard, for the record.

Anyway, anyone else seen this?

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP (www.microsoft.com/mvp)

Old November 18th 06, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Robert Moir

Colin Nash [MVP] wrote:

I tried some RC2 builds too and they had the same problem with this
card during setup.

32bit version of Vista on a Asus P4P800E motherboard, for the record.

Anyway, anyone else seen this?

Negatory. Worked ok for me with an X1800 PCIe on an ABIT ab9. Some oddity of
the install disk drivers and the PCIe bridge chip on your card to make it
talk to AGP? Sounds like just the thing that might get missed in a test, not
to mention precisely the sort of thing that wouldn't be an issue for an X800

Old November 21st 06, 07:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
DylanBob52

I have the same card and am getting the same error. Unfortunately I don't
have another card to pop in there. Suggestions anyone?

Old March 2nd 07, 06:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gert

Default ATI X1600 AGP 512MB - blue screen during setup(driver in infinite loop) - Colin Nash [MVP]

Here's what you can try:

I bet you have a VIA chipset motherboard. Go to your device manager and change te drivers for the CPU - AGP to PCI bridge.

Choose to install a VIA AGP 2.0/ AGP 3.0 to CPU controller to get it to work in full force.

The problem is with the VIA chipset.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com