Dvd writers are missing

Old November 22nd 06, 12:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bcs4

Default Dvd writers are missing

After installing Vista Ultimate and everything checked out okay about 2 days
later both my dvdwriters turned up missing in my computer
when i checked device manager they show but i am told when i click on them
that windows couldn't load the device drivers and it says drivers might be
missing or corrupted when I try to update drivers i am told the best driver
software for your device is already installed any suggestions would be
appreciated
Old November 24th 06, 02:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bcs4

Thanks alot Hong I followed your instructions exactly and now when i
restarted my pc it won't boot into windows even using safe mode. Maybe before
you give someone advice you should try it on your own PC. If I sound angry
maybe its because this is the second time I have been given misinformation
which resulted in a major systems failure. Luckily I was able to reboot using
the install disk and repair and restore the system with the message
ROOT cause found:
Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused this problem
After all this the problem stated in my original post still exists
Anyone else have a solution to my problem?
Still Looking for meaningful help

"Hong" wrote:

Message:
1. Click on START button, the click on RUN
2. Enter REGEDIT and press enter
3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see
two settings on the right-hand side:
"Upperfilters"
"Lowerfilters"
Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Then close REGEDIT, shutdown & restart your PC

Old November 24th 06, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Theo

Perhaps you shouldn't be so hasty to demean someone.

The suggestion Hong gave actually originated from Microsoft
and it is their suggestion to correct the problem.

Old November 24th 06, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bcs4

Your absolutely right and I apologize to Hong. There is no excuse for my
outburst other then i have become totally fustrated with my problem. Please
except my apology. Heres hoping my insensitve remarks will be forgiven.
Still in need of help
Bcs4

Old November 24th 06, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Theo

I don't know what the solution is, but I have seen this
reported much too often and it may well be a bug in Vista.
If so, let's hope Microsoft is able to pinpoint the problem
and correct it.

Old November 24th 06, 04:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bcs4

I tried Hongs suggestion a second time just to make sure I didn't do
something wrong or the bootup failure was unrelated to current problem.
Unfortunately I had same results where I had to run repair on install disk to
fix bootup problem after deleting the lowerfilters and upper filters.
Hopefully microsoft or someone else will be able to come up with the solution
of missing dvd roms. As I have notice there are many others with same problem
Waiting patiently
Sincerly Bcs4

Old November 25th 06, 03:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bcs4

I found updated firmware for both my dvd writers when I tried to flash them
Vista wouldn't allow me to update. I believe I solved this problem by
flashing the firware for both dvd writers using Xp Pro operating system I
then reinstalled the Vista Os with the newly flashed writers and they both
appeard in Computer and in device manager they showed as both functioning
properly

Old November 26th 06, 01:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hong

Hmm... It's strange. It helped me yesterday. For some reason my DVD
disappeared and I did those steps, reboot and came back to normal. I am
really sorry if it gave you more trouble.