Vista Banter

-   -   Could BIOS setting cause BSOD? (http://www.vistabanter.com/77335-could-bios-setting-cause-bsod.html)

rll October 7th 07 11:23 PM

Could BIOS setting cause BSOD?

Ever since I had Best Buy do some upgrading of my Vista Ultimate computer,
it has crashed almost daily, sometimes twice a day. The crashes occur
regardless of whether the computer is in use or not. The result is a blue
screen with the message Power State Driver Failure. That is the only part of
the text I am able to read before the computer shuts down and restarts. One
of the things Best Buy did was install a new graphics card. My power supply
isn't the problem, by the way. I have a 600 watt supply. The new card is a
PCIe nVidia. A couple of days ago, I installed nVidia's latest driver for
their GeForce cards. I also decided to look at my BIOS settings for no
particular reason. In the BIOS, there was a option to set the video from
Onboard or PCI or PCIe. Mine was set on PCI, even though the card is PCIe. I
made the correct selection in the BIOS and restarted. I have my fingers
crossed here, but there hasn't been a crash since.

Could this incorrect BIOS setting have been the source of my problems? Or
was it the new nVidia driver? Or both? Or have a just been lucky? Any info
would be appreciated.

Carey Frisch [MVP] October 8th 07 12:31 AM

Could BIOS setting cause BSOD?

The correct BIOS setting should be PCIe.
Incorrect settings would definitely cause a crash.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Curious October 8th 07 01:29 AM

Could BIOS setting cause BSOD?

Also go in to system advanced settings and uncheck the option for automatic
restart on a BSOD so that you can read the BSOD screen.