Unable to open pics in Windows Photo Gallery on my Vista desktop

Old June 15th 08, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
treehugger

Default Unable to open pics in Windows Photo Gallery on my Vista desktop

after having wasted hours and hours with hp trying to resolve inability
to open pictures from my vista desktop (pictures open fine when put in a
folder), and after having done system restore with no resolution, the
problem was in fact one .url shortcut on my desktop, which when deleted
solved problem. can someone tell me why, praytell, is this issue not
addressed (fixed) with windows or hp updates?

--
treehugger

Old June 24th 08, 07:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
LC5683

fun2163;651795 Wrote:
FINALLY! I had the same problem, and think I found an answer - at
least,
this worked for me...

It sounds crazy, but... copy all of the web / internet shortcuts that
are on your desktop to a folder on your desktop called test (or
anything
else).

Now try double clicking on a JPG image (assuming Windows Photo Gallery
is still your default application.)

*If that works - PLEASE post a reply here.*

Then, one by one, copy the shortcut files back to the desktop - double
clicking the JPG file each time to see when this happens again. When
you
find the offending shortcut, copy it's URL and delete the file. Then
try double clicking the file again.

Again - if this works, please post here.

--
fun2163

Wow! Unbelievable! I had just recently copied a bunch of Internet
shortcuts to my desktop. I didn't associate that with the problem I was
having with opening jpeg's on my desktop but glad I found this thread. I
moved all of the shortcuts to a folder on the desktop and whalla! I was
able to open open the pics on the desktop again. Thank you soooo much!
Now I will go through the shortcuts and find the culprit. I suspect
there will be multiple culprits as a number of them are very long.

--
LC5683
Old May 27th 10, 04:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
finucane

Lincoln;478822 Wrote:
pics IN a folder on my desktop will open fine. I can go in to the folder
and
open them up no problem

however...

pics (.jpg) just sitting on the desktop won't open.....I click it....
and
nothing

no error's, no boxes pop up...Pic will not open in Win Ph Gallery

I've checked associations....seem fine and correct..
default programs assignments...jpg's defaulted to with Windows Photo
Gallery

they will open with other programs without issue

When i log on to my wifes Identity she can open pics on her destop
normally....in a folder or out of the folder

Any ideas?....I've checked here and I'm stumped

Hoping there's a fix for this...

thanks

TD

fun2163;651795 Wrote:
FINALLY! I had the same problem, and think I found an answer - at least,
this worked for me...

It sounds crazy, but... copy all of the web / internet shortcuts that
are on your desktop to a folder on your desktop called test (or anything
else).

Now try double clicking on a JPG image (assuming Windows Photo Gallery
is still your default application.)

*If that works - PLEASE post a reply here.*

Then, one by one, copy the shortcut files back to the desktop - double
clicking the JPG file each time to see when this happens again. When you
find the offending shortcut, copy it's URL and delete the file. Then
try double clicking the file again.

Again - if this works, please post here.

--
fun2163

Bingo, solution worked as expressed...

Thanx