Old January 30th 09, 10:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
KWMN

Default why does my cursor jump all over when I am typing

Hi, I've been having the same problem and it makes me completely crazy,
but I think I may have found one reason why this can happen and a fix
for it (not perfect but better than nothing!) I think this is related
to the fact that Vista is set up so that if the mouse pointer is in a
particular spot, the cursor will jump to that spot, automatically,
without your having to click the mouse.

Also, if the mouse pointer happens to be pointing to a hyperlink or a
command (such as anything on the QuickLaunch bar), Vista will OPEN
whatever link or program is being pointed at.

This problem is further complicated, in Word, by the fact that most of
us set up the pointer to "disappear" when we are typing text... and yet,
it's still "there" someplace on the page (as you can see if you move
it).

SO what I think is happening, is that the cursor just jumps to wherever
the mouse pointer is located, if you pause a bit in typing... and, when
that happens, your typing is inserted at the point where the mouse
pointer is located.

However, happily, there is a really good description in the Tutorials
about how to change how long the mouse must hover over a particular
link, before vista opens that popup. So, it is possible to slow down
that process, which helped me a lot.

Also, I've found that if I position the mouse pointer carefully off to
one side of my page, before I start typing, it doesn't "steal" my
cursor!

- Karen

--
KWMN