SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Old October 19th 07, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_6_]

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Vivian at MS next had me attempt to use the SD card in "Device" Clean
Boot mode. This involves opening Device Manager and disabling all
non-essential devices, which I did, inluding the other two components of
the 5-in-1 card reader, which were not being used. When I inserted the
SD card, the system Blue Sceened almost inmediately. So, it appears the
problem is either with the driver or with Vista itself. I can't wait to
hear the response from MS! BTW, Vivian said that if necessary she will
open a separate Trouble Ticket for the "memtest.exe" problem, free of
charge. This one definitely sounds like an MS isssue, so at least
they're taking responsibility for it. I don't know if I'll ultimately
get a resolution; but so far their service has been pretty good.

Anyway, I've learned a little bit about device driver troubleshooting.
It apears the process is to test the device in Safe Mode and if stable,
test again in Clean Boot mode. If stable, reenable applications and
services until the device fails and you've found the culprit. If
unstable in Clean Boot mode, test the device in Device Clean Boot mode.
If stable, reenable devices until the device under consideration fails
and again you've found you're culprit. If unstable, then the issue is
either with the driver itself or the OS. Very interesting! This is where
I am now.

If MS places the blame on the driver my next step will be to post the
text of the .INF files here, for the drivers that aren't working and
perhaps the original XP x32 drivers, which I've never tested; but assume
must have worked when the unit shipped. Then with luck a knowledgeable
person might be able to examine them and point out any differences that
could potentially be the source of the problem. This set of drivers
actually contains 4 components. The CardBus driver, the SD/MMC Card
Reader, the MS/MS Pro Card Reader and the xD Card Reader. I intend to
post the .INF files for all 4 devices for the failing driver set and a
known good driver set, albeit for XP x32. I believe I have all the tools
I need to edit drivers now. I've got the .CAB SDK, the Vista WDK, WINPE2
and the Express version of MS Visual Studio 2005 and all the relevant
components. At this point all I'll need is a couple of hints to point me
in the right direction. Wow, I never thought I'd get this deep into this
mud hole, yikes!

--
coljohnhannibalsmith

I love it when a plan comes together.
It keeps me "on the jazz!"
Old October 19th 07, 06:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

Wow, that's a lot of work for you to do. I do hope that this leads
to a successful resolution. Please continue to keep us posted.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:52:13 -0500, coljohnhannibalsmith
wrote:

[...]

MS Windows-MVP
Old October 23rd 07, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_7_]

Well I just received another email from MS and they state that in
addition to "ntoskernel.exe," "ntfs.sys" is also affected; so Vivian at
MS had me run "chkdsk /f /r." I assume the '/r' part is an instruction
to repair the file system if any errors are found. chkdsk took about 1
1/2 hours to run and found no errors. Vivian; however did find a problem
in my BCD file. She said that "memtest.exe" was set to the wrong
partition; so she had me run:
"BCDEDIT /SET {memdiag} partion=c:" This completed successfully. I then
ran the Memory Diagnostic Tool and restarted the system. The Memory
Diagnostic Tool ran as expected and found no errors. Well at least I've
gotten this problem out of the way. I'm not entirely surprised by this
error, since I upgraded the hard drive on my Notebook to 160GB within
days of upgrading the Vista x64. I did this by using a commercially
available USB, Universal cloning kit; however instead of using the
cloning software supplied by the manufacturer, I used the Acronis
cloning software I downloaded from Seagate, who manufactured the drive.
I incorrecctly performed the last step of the cloning process, which was
to restart the Notebook with the cloned drive still attached. Instead I
removed the drive before restarting. When I did, the original drive
would not restart and I had to use the install disk to repair the drive,
after which Vista x64 started normally. The same thing also occurred on
the cloned drive when I replaced the original drive with it. Here's the
reason this happened. The instructions for the cloning software supplied
by the cloning kit manufacturer warned profusely about NOT leaving the
cloned drive connected durring restart; so I removed the cloned drive
prior to restart. Much to my chagrin, the Seagate Acronis cloning
software instructed leaving the cloned drive connected durring restart.
I didn't bother to read that far until I had the restart problem. I
assumed the cloning process would be universal, so I assumed I would
follow the same steps for the other application. I guess I learned "my
lesson!"

Unfortunatey the SD Card issue still persists. Somehow Vivian at MS was
able to determine that I had not disabled the ATI Display Driver durring
Device Clean Boot Mode. I didn't disable this, because I thought the
display would stop working. She asked me to make sure that the device
uninstalled completely before testing the SD Card in this mode and if it
didn't to make sure I installed the latest driver. She provided me with
a link to an ATI driver on Acer's website, unfortunately it was for
Vista NOT Vista x64. I had already encountered this problem when I
originally started searching for x64 drivers and located the most
up-to-date driver on ATI's website. BTW, it's running beautifully. I was
able to get the Display Driver, The South Bridge Drivers and the
Catalyst Control Panel for the "ATI Radeon 1100 card." Those of us with
Aspire 5100 Notebooks have been waiting with baited breath for these to
be released. Anyway they're there and they're working perfectly. I do
recommend installing these in order though; starting with the Display
Driver, then the South Bridge Drivers, then the Catalyst Control Panel.

Anyway, this time I disabled the ATI Display Driver along with
everything else that could be disabled, without shutting down the
system. The display continued to work in VGA mode. Then I inserted the
SD Card again. It Blue Screened immediately, so now I have to wait for
MS's next email to troubleshoot further.

Old October 23rd 07, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

ouch. you've certainly been having quite a time with this. I do hope
that the MS folks come up with a resolution.

Old October 27th 07, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_8_]

I have started a parallel thread he

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/1016...k-drivers.html

I think my last post there may be of much interest, to those with that
inclination.

-John

Old November 4th 07, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_9_]

Well here goes,

Since the last time I wrote I've had two more TS sessions with MS.
Here's how they went:

Prior to the previous TS session, Vivian escalated my ticket to an
Escalation Engineer named Emma. Emma had me perform a complete format
of the C:\ drive and then a Complete PC Restore without checking the
select box to "Repartition and Reformat to Match the Backup," suspecting
that "chkdsk" may have missed something. The system Blue Screed as
before when I inserted the SD Card; so during the last TS session, she
had me perform an "inplace-upgrade." This involves having Windows
reinstall the system files from the install disk. This is supposed to
leave your files and settings alone; but rewrites the Registry and
deletes all the Windows Updates. It also forced me to reactivate, which
I could not do online, since I have a wireless Internet connection
through T-Mobile, which could not be launched from the Activation
window. "God is this a buggy piece of @#$!%?" They're using me as an
Alpha Tester and have made me pay $189.00 plus the $59.00 support fee
for the privilege. They should be paying me as an SW Tester. I've got
half a mind to file charges with the Department of Labor Standards
Enforcement for unpaid wages! Then again, maybe I only have half a
mind, which is far more likely.

Oh, BTW I also got a nasty message in the lower right corner of the
Desktop that read: "This copy of Windows is not Genuine." This remained
even after re-activation. Fortunately this went away after a couple of
restarts.

Then I inserted the SD Card and held my breath. "Plug and Play"
started immediately and placed a balloon on my Desktop stating:
"Installing Software." This never happened before! Shortly thereafter,
that went away and P&P placed another balloon on my Desktop stating:

"Secure Digital_MMC_Drive.
Device Driver Software Installed Successfully."

This took at least a minute and nothing. No Blue Screen, no Dialog
Boxes stating that some critical Windows component, like "Windows
Explorer" had stopped working; so I opened the SD Card in "Computer" and
was able to store files in it. I was also able to successfully perform
Quick & Full Formats in FAT, FAT32 & NTFS and store files on the card in
each of these formats. By this time I'm wiping the sweat off of my brow
and daring to think that I've finally achieved success; but this was
short lived. During all of this I was still connected to the Internet
and one of my applications installed an update. I was persuaded to
restart, which I did, with the SD Card still inserted. When Windows
tried to launch the Desktop the system Blue Screened. I then removed
the SD Card and Cold Booted. I started Windows normally, then
reinserted the SD Card after Windows had completely loaded the Desktop.
A dialog Box popped up stating that my HD Soft Conn Modem had stopped
working; but I closed it and persevered. I was prompted to format the
SD card and when I clicked "OK" another Blue Screen.

Anyway, I got a little farther along this time. Apparently, when
Windows is first installed the Memory Card Reader Driver and Vista x64
are compatible; but this relationship doesn't last long. For some
reason this relationship deteriorates relatively quickly in human time;
however more slowly in processor time.

Emma says she thinks her manger will let her ship me a Retail Version
of Vista x64; but I'm not sure what this is supposed to accomplish. At
this point it appears MS is trying "Hail Mary" passes instead of trying
to fix the problem. At this point I don't care. I just want to use my
damn computer for something other than a paperweight.

-John

Old November 4th 07, 10:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

do you know what the update was? did you try going into device
manager and doing a driver rollback? (and or a system restore?)

this is extremely painful to read and has to be much worse for you,
and I admire you patience.

Old November 4th 07, 02:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_10_]

wrote:

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Hum...

The system only works temporarily with no updates loaded. I forget
which application downloaded and installed an upgrade, but it wasn't a
Windows Update and it wasn't driver related. I think it was one of my
Firefox add-ons. Why one of these would require a restart I can't
explain; but I was prompted for a system restart afterward and did so.
That's when my system Blue Screened. I don't believe the application
upgrade is responsible, since the problem persists in clean boot mode.

A driver rollback is a non-starter. I'm using the only Vista x64
drivers available and I've done many system restores. Something else
appears to be going on. My theory at this point is that there is some
instability in "ntfs.sys" that my driver somehow manages to trigger and
this in turn causes a cascade effect, that eventually causes
"ntoskernel.exe" to fail.

The only good thing I think that can come out of receiving a free
Retail version, as the MS engineer suggested is that there may be some
system file differences between the retail and the OEM versions. If
this is so, performing an inplace-upgrade with the retail version may
solve the problem, then again maybe not.

I suspect in the end MS will just need to add or modify a couple lines
of code in ntfs.sys to solve the problem.

-John

Old November 4th 07, 05:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

I can't imagine that the core files would be different. What are the
file properties of ntfs.sys on your system? what is the status of
the digital certificate?

Old November 6th 07, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_11_]

I'll post the core file info shortly,

I'm away from my Laptop right now. By digital certificate, I assume
you mean for the driver set? These appear to be correctly signed. I
received no warning message when installing and I've checked Device
Manager and the driver manufacturer "ENE Technologies" is displayed.

Yesterday, I read the tutorial section regarding System Files, which
covered some of the TS steps I've been performing with MS at the
following link:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

It states the following if an "inplace-upgrade" fails to resolve the
your issue:

"NOTE: If Vista is still not working properly afterwards, then a Clean
Install would be recommended."

Since I already had my configuration backed up on an external HDD, I
decided to give this a try and not only did the issue persist, but I got
a BSOD when Windows tried to load for the first time and had to restart
the install from the beginning and I got another BSOD after the first
restart after the Windows Desktop completely loaded, even before
inserting the SD Card. I briefly scanned the crash details and they
appeared very similar to those caused by the SD Card.

This is very strange. I didn't get BSODs when cloning the 160GB drive
from my original 100GB drive; but I got BSODs both times when performing
a clean install to the 160GB drive. It's also strange that it appears
to only affect one device. I think what I'll have to do next is
reinstall my 100GB drive, perform a clean install and wait to see if I
get BSODs durring the install or if not and when inserting the SD Card.
This may expose an incompatibility in my new HDD; but then again, the OS
and drivers are already mounted in RAM. The memory Diagnostic Tool
reports no errors after several passes.

I received another email from Emma, after having done the clean install
and she suggested uninstalling Firefox and collecting the Dump files
again. I nearly lost it! Apparently it seems she's forgotten that we
TS'd the system in Clean Boot mode. She must now think that Firefox's
downloading and installation of an update is causing the problem. It
seems to me that would be pretty difficult for an unrelated & unmounted
application to do and I expressed as much to her. I also informed her
that the problem persisted and displayed additional symptoms after a
clean install.

I'm losing my faith in this engineer. She keeps asking me to do things
over again, that don't appear to make sense with respect to the steps
we've already taken together. Also, her English is barely better than
pigeon. She appears to be located in mainland China. I've probably got
enough energy left to check for the same problems with another drive,
then if I still can't get a resolution I'm going to contact a Laptop
repair company and let them give it a try.

Barb,

Do you know of any reputable companies that can handle Latop repair of
this complexity?

Thanks, John