SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Old November 7th 07, 09:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_12_]

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

So here's the latest,

I performed a Clean Install of Vista x64 on my old 100GB drive. I got
BSODs after install and BSODs after inserting the SD Card, just like on
my new drive. I did not load any other programs other than Windows and
the Card Reader Drivers. So, at least I know my new HDD is not at
fault. Then I loaded Vista x32 from the Acer upgrade disk. I had no
BSOD problems during or after install and I restarted repeatedly to
stress test the install, still no problems. I then inserted the SD Card
and it worked flawlessly. I was able to perform quick and full formats
in all three file systems, FAT, FAT 32 & NTFS. I intentionally left the
SD Card inserted and restarted repeatedly. No further problems. It
certainly appears that Vista x64 is just a buggy, unstable "bowl of
sugar."

Thank You Microsoft!

Now all I have to do is do battle with their incompetent engineer. I'm
very close to asking MS to replace her. I have very little patience
left.

-John

--
coljohnhannibalsmith

I love it when a plan comes together.
It keeps me "on the jazz!"
Old November 7th 07, 10:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

Although I don't normally recommend flashing the BIOS unless there
is a real problem, it "appears" there is a new BIOS for your system
from 11/1 at
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/note...ire_5100/bios/

(and you do need to understand that there is some risk in flashing a
BIOS, altho I've done it many times myself on various systems.)

Some of us were/are having media reader issues on Acer's Ferrari
4000 (and 5000).

I resolved most of my issues with a BIOS update for the 4000 (see
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/b...ew+BIOS.a spx
for my tale of woe).

Your chronology of interaction with the MS engineer is depressing.
I'm going to send it around to a few PSS and other folks I know at
MS. While I doubt they will comment, I will make them aware of your
bad experience.

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 03:33:26 -0600, coljohnhannibalsmith
wrote:

[...]

MS Windows-MVP
Old November 7th 07, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_13_]

Thank you for your assistance,

I've flashed many BIOs myself and am aware of the dangers. Thanks for
the caveat. The greatest danger is from power interruption during a
flash; however corrupted and incorrect files can also be a danger. I am
currently using v3.05 from the AcerPanAm.com site; so this will be the
2nd flash for me. I've noticed this is the second time you've referred
me to a European site. Do they generally release more quickly there
than here in the US? Anyway, the model #5100 looks correct and the
latest version appears to be v3.10, which is consistent with the
previous verion numbers. I will try it after reading your blog and the
"release notes," if there are any.

It appears the next step for me is to perform a Clean Install again on
my new drive and collect the crash data and dump files from the install
BSOD, then save the crash data and dump files from the SD Card BSOD and
forward them to MS with the reminder that these were obatined with no
other software than the OS itself loaded from the first crash & the OS
plus Card Reader Drivers from the second crash. It is my current theory
that the causes are the same. If the files are text files, which I
believe some of them are and they are small enough, I will also post
them here with appropriate labeling, so that all may inspect them and
that my scientific method of discovery may be well documented. When I'm
further along toward a resoltion I will post the actual MS case number,
so that all may inspect.

I'm really convinced the problem is with NTFS.SYS. I've been playing
with the idea of substituting the NTFS.SYS file from XP x64. I don't
know if this is even possible, because it may call different subroutines
or differently named subroutines than the Vista x64 version; but it
would be quite a coup if it worked; however I'll try flashing the BIOS
first.

As an aside, Vista x32 will only see 2GB of my 4GB ram even though it's
supposed to be capable of addressing 128GB Ram. Any thoughts on this?

-John

Old November 7th 07, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

1. I don't even both with the US Acer site when looking for drivers
and updates. I think they point everyone to the European ftp site on
one of the links anyway.

2. The clean install and info gathering sounds like a good triage
step.

3. I think you will be prevented from substituting a system file
from XP x64

4. wondering about

5. see BIOS settings and see if there is a memory re-mapping
setting.

Old November 8th 07, 09:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_14_]

I already have KB929777 installed, and I have an ATI Graphics Card not
an NVIDIA; but it does appear the error is ram related. It took me a
while, but I finally figured out why you're leaning in this direction.
The Card Reader was stable with Vista x32 only seeing 2GB ram. So,
after recollecting the crash data I yanked the second memory stick and
guess what. The Card Reader works rock solid in Vista x64. It's
looking now like the Card Reader and the upper 2GB of ram are trying to
share the same address space. I would have thought Device Manager would
catch the conflict, but I guess not. I'm fairly certain my BIOS doesn't
have a memory remapping feature; but this can be done in Device Manager
can't it?

BTW, I haven't flashed the BIOS chip with the new version yet; but I'll
check for this feature as soon as I do.

-John

Old November 8th 07, 10:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

You would have to remap in BIOS. Acer is pretty much ignoring any
requests for fixes for x64 compatibility fixes, but if you find
after flashing the new BIOS there is no support, you should still
contact them and add another voice/complaint.

Old November 8th 07, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_15_]

wrote:

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Ah yes the BIOS,

The BIOS has two versions a DOS version and a Windows version. The
README file states that you can launch each version in its appropriate
environment. When I tried to launch the Windows version, I got an "Error
1275" stating:

"The Driver could not be loaded."

The text of the error message said to "check administrator privileges."
Well I'm the administrator and I have User Account Control turned off
and Data Execution Prevention in the default setting, which is to
monitor Windows Services only NOT Programs; so this certainly isn't the
cause.

I then launched a DOS window and attempted to run both the Windows and
the DOS versions of the installer. I received error messages both times.
I believe when I tried to run the DOS version, I simply got a gereric
error message stating an incompatibility issue. If my memory serves me
correctly, when I tried to run the Windows version from the DOS window,
I got an error message stating that the application is not compatible
with 64 bit OSs. This makes sense, since Acer is trying their best, NOT
to offer any x64 support. What I'm going to try next is to reinstall my
old 100GB drive with Vista x32 on it and attempt to load the new BIOS
from there. My last BIOS flash was done from XP x32.

BTW, I checked Device Manager and it appears there's an option to
modify resources; but it's greyed-out and it also appears greyed-out for
other unrelated components in DM as well. I wonder what bedeviled MS to
disable this feature and if there's any way to turn it back on? What
knuckleheads! When you deliver an unfinished product to the public, you
"DON'T" disable TS features.

Oh, and Emma from MS wrote back again, she said she wanted me to send
her the crash data and data from MSIFNO32, from after I performed the
Clean Install, which makes sense; but then, she said we would "update
the drivers one by one." This begs the questions: "Why would we need to
update any drivers at all, especially more than one, since I'm getting
BSODs immediately after install, before loading the SD Card Drivers;
which means the only drivers being loaded are those supplied by the OS
itself and when I get the SD Card BSODs, the only drivers loaded are
those for the Memory Card Reader Plus the OS and I have the latest
Memory Card Reader Drivers and she already knows that.

I haven't told her I've TS'd the problem to the upper 2GB of ram yet;
but I'm wondering if she'd even understand if I did.

Weeeee...........arty:

Old November 8th 07, 07:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_16_]

Finally had time to read:

I resolved most of my issues with a BIOS update for the 4000 (see
'Barb's Connected World - Updating Acer Ferrari x64 Ultimate with new
BIOS'
(http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/b...ew+BIOS.a spx)
for my tale of woe).

I see you had the same problem and found a work around for it.

Old November 8th 07, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

so you're good with my workaround?

Old November 9th 07, 02:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_17_]

I flashed the BIOS. The system still Blue Screens after I insert the SD
Card and there is still no support for memory remapping.