SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Old November 9th 07, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

yuck. I can't think of anything else to suggest other than hounding
Acer for better x64 support.

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:19:09 -0600, coljohnhannibalsmith
wrote:

I flashed the BIOS. The system still Blue Screens after I insert the SD
Card and there is still no support for memory remapping.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Old November 9th 07, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_18_]

I've just sent Acer a request for email support. I've phrased it in such
a way that it shouldn't violate their support policies. I haven't told
them that I can't even get the unit to see the upper 2GB ram in Vista;
but they don't need to know that. The email follows below:

Subject: Use of ENE Memory Card Reader causes BSODs with 4GB ram
installed.

Acer Aspire 5102WLMi w/o Bluetooth, Orbicam, or TV Tuner
Model No: BL51
AS5102WLMI-MCEEN-TL50/15.4
ACB/512M/100G US
S/N: LXABH0J0116380F0B41601
O/S: Vista Home Premium.
Date of Purchase: 2/29/2007

I recently upgraded to the Vista Home Premium version supplied to me by
Acer through the Vista Upgrade Program, that my unit qualified for.

I can only use the internal ENE Memory Card Reader with 2GB ram
installed. When I install the upper 2GB ram, my system Blue Screens when
I attempt to use the Card Reader.

The crash data follows below:

Problem signatu
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 0000000000003452
BCP2: 00000000001E0000
BCP3: FFFFF70000081508
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini101207-02.dmp
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-41890-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WERDBD9.tmp.versi on.txt

It is my opinion that this device shares memory mapping with the upper
2GB ram. I also suspect this will require a BIOS rewrite to remap the
device or a BIOS rewrite to add memory remapping ability to the BIOS
itself. Both highly desireable!

This is a "Hail Mary" play. Hopefully "meine kleine weisse Lüge" will
generate a productive result.

-John

PS., I called Acer this morning and the phone tech said to download the
"chipset drivers" to get the unit to see the upper 2GB ram in Vista x32.
I've downloaded and installed the most recent set from "amd.ati.com;"
but they did not slove the problem. I haven't tried downloading and
installing the set from the AcerPanAm.com site yet.

--
coljohnhannibalsmith

I love it when a plan comes together.
It keeps me "on the jazz!"
Old November 9th 07, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_19_]

Opps:

I think I'm screwed, when they see this:

OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

I suppose I can always tell them I'm having the same problem on a
similar unit, or on a different drive with the x64 OS installed and
provided them with the wrong crash data set and promise to supply them
with correct data set.

Old November 9th 07, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

they may not even notice. more likely they will ask you if the RAM
is genuine Acer brand RAM and then tell you, sorry, you need
official Acer RAM.

Old November 9th 07, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_20_]

That's fine. I'll just tell them it's Acer ram. If the push me, I'll
go out and buy some.

Old November 10th 07, 09:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

Good luck. I DO hope you are successful.

Old November 14th 07, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_22_]

Third Party BIOS upgrade:

I've come across an interesting website while searching on Google:

'eSupport.com - scan.esupport.com -'
(http://scan.esupport.com/?CFID=378388&CFTOKEN=25298523)

It appears to offer 3rd party BIOS upgrades, which may offer a solution
to my problem. I suspect however; that most of their business is from
people who have older machines. They do some some interesting claims:

**eSupport is the world's oldest and largest provider of BIOS Upgrades
with nearly 20 years of unparalleled excellence in the industry.

**Option To Assign IRQ's.

If these folks don't have a BIOS upgrade for my system, I suspect they
might be able to write one or direct me to someone who can.

Old November 15th 07, 10:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

I'd personally stay away from non manufacturer's BIOS. You can't
lose anything by making an inquiry, but rather than toast a machine,
I'd buy an external card reader.

Old November 19th 07, 08:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_23_]

I have been communicating with a Dan at Ircona a distributor of the
Phoenix BIOS and he states that it would cost about $1000.00/day for the
development effort involved in a BIOS rewrite. He suggested another
strategy. He suggested modifying the E820 table after BIOS completes but
before the OS loads. He states that this can be done by modifying the
boot sector to intercept the Windows load and modify the E820 table
before allowing Windows to finish loading.

This sounds like very technical stuff! Does anyone know what an E820
table is and how I would go about writing a program to do what Dan
suggested above or is anyone out there qualified to do this?

Thanks, John

Old November 19th 07, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

I'll wish you the best of luck with this one..