SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Old December 28th 07, 04:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_24_]

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Solved, well almost.....

I purchaed another HDD on which I installed Ubuntu 7.10 "Gusty Gibbon"
AMD64 Alternate Install CD.

The current release of Ubuntu has none of the afore mentioned problems
with my
"ENE 5-in-1" Memory Card Reader. It recognized the device immediately
and automounted an 8GB Class 6 SDHC card. So at least I know the problem
is software NOT hardware related. Also, since the SD Card Reader Driver
is part of the Ubuntu Kernel, the source code is available; so I think,
all I have to do to get this to work in Vista, if a future Vista or BIOS
update doesn't fix the problem is install the "free" Trolltech Qt4 C++
development tools for Windows, which I assume supports the AMD64
platform, since the Linux version does and compile and install it in
Vista, like any other driver. So not only do I know more about the
problem; but now I have more than one option for solving it in Vista.

BTW, I've posted the results of my experiences on one of the the Ubuntu
Support Forums on the following thread:

The 'business" portion of which, I've posted below:

cyberfella,

Just wanted to provide you and anyone else who reads this thread with
an update:

While experimenting in Gutsy I noticed the size of the Swap file was
~6.3GB in Vista it's ~7.5GB, so I though I'd better buy an 8GB SD card.
So, yesterday I walked accross the street to Fry's Electronics and
purchased a "PQI" 8GB "Class 6" (20MB/s R/W) SD card, with a "Lifetime
Warranty." This set me back $69.95 +tax, which is 8.25% here in Los
Angeles. Patriot, sells a similar card, with a Lifetime warranty, for
$59.95 +tax; but they were out of stock. This sure beats the heck out of
$189.95 +tax for the Sandisk Extreme III cards. Anyway, I didn't even
know if my internal reader was SDHC compliant; so I made sure I could
return the card to the store if it didn't work and made sure I preserved
the packaging.

When I got home I booted up "Good Ol' Gutsy," held my breath and
inserted the SD card. It mounted almost immediately, leaving a beautiful
SD icon on the Desktop. I opened the SD folder and made sure I could
store a file in it then backed out and launched "GParted." I unmounted
the card, which is "/dev/mmcblk9p1" on my system, deleted the original
partition, created a new partition and formated it in "Linux Swap." This
completed successfully. I then executed the instructions in the thread
you pointed me to, which went something like:

"sudo swapon -p 32767 /dev/mmcblk9p1"

This completed successfully.

I then rebooted....

What I experienced next was almost better than sex... "Dolce santa
madre di Dios, countach, whoooosh!!!!"

I've never seen Grub load so fast.

After the boot phase where Grub counts down to allow you to press
Escape for a boot menu, the Verbose portion of the boot that displays
what is written to the Kernel Log (kern.log) just flashed by. The screen
blinked twice and and the sliding bar animation loaded almost
immediately and even this took less than 5 seconds to complete. Then the
Login Screen came up next and I logged in as usual. Before I could blink
an eye, the Desktop loaded.

I tried performing the normal file, folder and application access tasks
that are associated with any session; such as, opening files, folders,
pulling down menus and launching applications. All of this and even my
Screen Saver ran faster. I'm so so very glad I ignored your advice;
however, I think a "RAID 0" configuration is a good idea. My next Laptop
will have the following characteristics:

**17" Display.

**Dual SSD NAND Solid State HDDs in a "RAID 0" configuration; turning
their native 50/45 MBs R/W speed into 100 MBs.

**Intel "Core 2 Extreme Quad Processor" or AMD equivalent, if they ever
come out with one...

**x2 NVIDIA Graphics Cards or Chipsets in the case of Laptops to drive
the Display or AMD equivalent.

**8GB Ram. Preferably Dual Port DDR3 at 800MHz, which I'm not sure even
exists yet.

BTW, I also disagree about your assessment, that SD Cards cannot
survive for long in this application. Microsoft's documentation states
that their testing suggests that SD Cards can survive for 10 years being
used this way. I got that from their own wedbsite. Also, the SD Card R/W
mechanism is designed to SPREAD the writes evenly on the entire address
space on the card; though I'm not sure if this is accomplished in
hardware, software or both.

Well, I hope this puts this argument to rest and thanks again for
directing me to this thread:

'How to: ReadyBoost with Ubuntu Linux - Ubuntu Forums'
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=395435)

-John

--
coljohnhannibalsmith

I love it when a plan comes together.
It keeps me "on the jazz!"
Old December 28th 07, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

You've done an impressive amount of work on this. I am going to pass
this on to some folks at MS.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:14:01 -0600, coljohnhannibalsmith
wrote:

[...]

snip
--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Old December 28th 07, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

BTW, I would be curious as to whether Vista SP1 has any impact on
your issue.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:14:01 -0600, coljohnhannibalsmith
wrote:

Solved, well almost.....

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Old December 28th 07, 10:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_25_]

To the best of my understanding, SP1 is due in late January and the
current release schedule for BIOS updates for my unit has been about 90
days. Since the last update was released on Oct 24th, 2007, the next
one will be due around the same time.

I'll try to make sure I test after installing each, to isolate this
further.

-John

Old April 21st 08, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
morrallas[_2_]

Here same problem with MSI PR200 (MS-1221) with Core 2 Duo T8100 and 4
GB RAM, with Vista Business x64 SP1. This notebook has ENE card reader,
and with drivers version 3.00.04 (2007-03-01) I'm suffering BSOD
randomly. With drivers uninstalled the system seems totally stable.
Any news around this problem?

--
morrallas
Old April 21st 08, 08:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

BIOS update from MSI?

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:04:19 -0500, morrallas
wrote:

Here same problem with MSI PR200 (MS-1221) with Core 2 Duo T8100 and 4
GB RAM, with Vista Business x64 SP1. This notebook has ENE card reader,
and with drivers version 3.00.04 (2007-03-01) I'm suffering BSOD
randomly. With drivers uninstalled the system seems totally stable.
Any news around this problem?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
Old May 5th 08, 06:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
wh1t3w0lf

The same problem here ! acer travelmate 6292, vista ultimate x64 sp1.
Reinstalled, latest drivers, bios updated. still no luck.

--
wh1t3w0lf
Old May 23rd 08, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
morrallas[_2_]

Solved with latest drivers version found on
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/ene-tech.htm

Extracted from the drivers changelog:
===== Release note =====
Version : 2.00.04 (SD), 2.00.03 (MS)
Date : 2007-07-09
1. For Vista64 ,new DMA way to support when system memory upper 4G.

--
morrallas
Old May 23rd 08, 03:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
wh1t3w0lf

Worked for me ! thank you very much for the link !

--
wh1t3w0lf
Old May 23rd 08, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

thanks for reporting back and sharing the good news and the link!