SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Old October 12th 07, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

To whom it may concern:

I have an Acer 5102 WLMi Notebook, which came with an
(ENE CB 712/714/810) “5-in-1” Memory Card Reader. The
important identifying information is provided below:

Acer Aspire 5102WLMi (w/o Bluetooth, Orbicam, or TV Tuner)
Model No: BL51
AS5102WLMI-MCEEN-TL50/15.4
ACB/512M/100G US
S/N: LXABH0J0116380F0B41601

The system came with Windows XP Media Center Edition loaded and I have
upgraded the OS to Vista x64, thereby voiding the warranty. Vista x64
works very well; but when I try to install an SD card, Windows
“Plug & Play” will reach various stages of installing the
driver software before crashing with a Blue Screen, where the video is
also scrambled, so it’s impossible to read the error message. This
looks a lot like a "short-circuit" to me. My card reader was only
designed to support SDA 1.1, which supports SD Cards up to 2GB. I used
the correct card. I used a "SanDisk Extreme III 2GB SD Card," which
I’m reasonably confident is not SDHC, so my unit, which was
manufactured in November 2006, should be able to read it. I’ve
read several online Blogs regarding SD cards causing BSODs in Vista. The
articles point to 1.8v & 3.3v being activated when SD cards only use
3.3v. The symptoms are looking an awful lot to me like one of the
system’s logic voltages is being pulled low, causing the OS Kernel
to stop working. I have the related Hotfix from Microsoft installed; but
I’m still having problems. It’s possible my Card Reader is
bad, or perhaps I purchased a defective SD card. These are also
possibilities. I would like to get this unit functioning properly under
Vista x64, preferably with SDHC support. I have the correct drivers
installed for this OS and Device Manager states “the device is
working properly.” If I cannot get the device working properly, I
would like to upgrade the internal Memory Card reader with one that is
known to be compatible with Vista x64. I realize this will probably
involve making changes to the motherboard; but I'm sure there is a
vendor out there somewhere knowledgeable enough and willing to do this.

Thanks, John

--
coljohnhannibalsmith
Old October 12th 07, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

not sure this will help, but see
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/vista_64bit/

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:41:49 -0500, coljohnhannibalsmith
wrote:

[...]

MS Windows-MVP
Old October 12th 07, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_2_]

Barb,

Thanks, for the reply. I checked out the ftp site. None of the
folders listed my system and most were empty; however, undetered I
checked each folder's contents individually and found the following file
"CardReader_ENE_v3.00.04.zip," in one of the folders near the very
bottom. This is the same Card Reader I use on my machine and looks like
the same file that's on the "AcerPanAm" site, listed under the Aspire
5100 drivers folder simply as "Vista," not Vista x64; however I have
verified that the extracted files from the AcerPamAm site do have x64
folders.

But the installer doesn't work in Vista x64. I had to drill down
alternatively to either the "x64 Cardbus," or "x64 Card Reader" folders
and install the drivers from Device Manager. When I did this they
installed correctly and Device Manager reports all the various
components of the device as working properly; but it still doesn't work.
It may not be a problem with the drivers, it could be with Vista
itself.

I am going to copy the extracted files to my flash drive and compare
them to what I have at home. If the drivers are different, I'll try
installing them and let you know what happened.

Nice detective work!

Thanks, John

--
coljohnhannibalsmith
Old October 12th 07, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

thanks for the update.

Old October 13th 07, 06:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_3_]

Barb,

I located the driver file in the "Travelmate 6292" folder. It was also
located in one or two others. The drivers loaded successfully, then I
was prompted to restart the computer, which I did. I installed the SD
card and was prompted to format it. The screen went blank and came back
on. I then got a window stating that Windows had shut down; but I was
able to close that window and press "OK" to start the format. The
format proceeded for about a minute, then I got a Blue Screen again,
with scrambled video, just like before. I removed the SD card and
performed a cold boot to reload Windows. When Windows reloaded I got
the following error message:

Problem signatu
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 0000000000003452
BCP2: 00000000001E0000
BCP3: FFFFF70000081508
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini101207-02.dmp
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-41890-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WERDBD9.tmp.versi on.txt

Read our privacy statement:
'Microsoft Online Crash Analysis'
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409)

I tried one more time with similar results.

BTW, I finally read the release notes for the previous drivers I was
using and for the new drivers. It appears the drivers I was using
before were for XP x64. Oddly enough, I was able to install these
through Device Manager. At least this set was intended for Vista x64.
I also learned from reading the release notes, that this set of drivers
is intended to provide SDHC support. My card reader's still not
working; but at least I know that my card reader can be updated for SDHC
support, by drivers alone. Perhaps a Hotfix or a driver tweak will
allow me to get the reader working. Fortunately, I don't think I'm
going to need to modify the mother board anymore.

I have an active "Paid" trouble ticket open with Microsoft for this
issue. If they provide me with a resolution, I will share it with all
of you.

I'm really at a loss for what to try next. I'm pretty sure the drivers
are correct. This is looking more and more like a Vista issue. I'm
wondering if I should try a different brand of SD card, or just wait to
hear back from MS. I'm also wondering how to "tweak" a driver. Device
Manager states these drivers were built with "WinDDK." I guess I'll
have to Google this to find out what this means. Can anyone describe
what the rudimentary procedures are for tweaking a driver?

Thanks, John

--
coljohnhannibalsmith

I love it when a plan comes together.
It keeps me "on the jazz!"
Old October 13th 07, 07:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_4_]

I Finally received an email from MS. They said to try it in Safe Mode
and it worked. The device was completely stable; however, I was only
able to perform a quick format using the default settings, which were
FAT file system & 32KB allocation unit size. Is this normal?

Old October 13th 07, 08:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

no, not normal. but it may help them diagnose the issue. please
continue to keep us posted here. there are quite a few people having
issues with these devices.

Old October 13th 07, 08:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

did MS support ask for the crash data? if not, when you email them
again, tell them you have this info.

Old October 16th 07, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_5_]

I received another email from "Vivian" at MS last night. She said she
analyzed the Minidump files I sent her as an attachment and stated that
"ntoskernel.exe" was the affected OS file. Also, in her reply, she
instructed me to restart the system in "Clean Boot" mode. This involves
running "msconfig" and checking "Hide All" on the Services Tab, then
pressing "Disable ALL;" then pressing "Disable ALL" on the Startup Tab,
then pressing Apply, OK and restarting the system, also checking "Don't
Show This Message Again," when I get the msconfig NAG window when
Windows restarts. I then inserted the SD card and Windows did not detect
it at all. I then checked Device Manager and found a yellow "Conflict"
icon next to:"Storage Controllers\ENE PCI Secure Digital / MMC Card
Reader Controller."
I then pressed "Scan For Hardware Changes" in DM and the Conflict icon
remained. Then I opened the Properties window for this device and read
the following message in the "Device Status" window: "Windows cannot
load the driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupt or
missing." I then attempted to reinstall the driver from the "DM
Properties" window; but the Wizard reported that the device was
up-to-date, almost immediately, leading me to believe that nothing was
actually installed, since reinstalling the driver should have taken at
least a couple of seconds. I then removed the SD Card and pressed "Scan
For Hardware Changes" again and the Conflict icon remained. I then
restarted the system in Normal mode and the Conflict icon remained. I
then instructed DM to uninstall the driver and delete the driver
software by checking the appropriate box in the confirmation window.
Windows' "Plug & Play" started immediately and could not find the driver
software, so I had to manually guide P&P to the correct folder, DM
installed the driver successfully and the yellow conflict incon
disappeared. I did not retest the SD card in Normal or Clean Boot mode,
because I was composing a response email to Vivian at MS and a Blue
Screen would have caused me to have to log back into Hotmail again.
Besides, it was after 11:00 pm and I had had enough for one day.

BTW, Vivian also instructed me to run the "Memory Diagnostic Tool" and
this would not work from either the Startup Search Window or the install
disk. In both cases I received the message: "Info for the selected entry
could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt,"
"boot\memtest.exe," Status: 0xc000000e. I drilled down to the
appropriate folder and located the application "memtest.exe," Version:
6.0.6000.16386, Date Modified: 11/2/06 2:51 am, 377 KB. I checked the
Permissions and System, Administrators, and Users all have Read &
Execute permissions. These appear to be correct.

Vivian also had me run "MSINFO32" and save the file to the Desktop as a
compressed file to email to her as an attachment, which I did.

**Please stay tuned for the next exciting installment of: "What the
$#@!^& happened to my Memory Card Reader."

-John

Old October 16th 07, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

thanks for the update. can't wait for the next exciting "chapter"
;-)