Vista Won't Recognize Burn Function

Old October 14th 07, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bryan

Default Vista Won't Recognize Burn Function

I have a custom-built desktop with Vista Ultimate x64, and Vista won't
recognize the burn function of my optical drive. I have swapped two different
internal optical drives, neither could burn discs natively in Vista: one was
a generic DVD-R/CD-RW drive, and the other is a Liteon LH-20A1P 20X Dual
Layer DVD±RW (installed currently). In the 'Computer' directory, the Liteon
drive is listed as a 'DVD RW Drive'. In the Device Manager, the Liteon drive
type is listed as: 'DVD/CD-ROM drives', and the device description is listed
as: 'CD-ROM Drive'.
It reads CD and DVD discs without issue, but Vista will not recognize a
blank disc in the drive. In addition, the 'Burn' feature of Windows Media
Player prompts me to 'Connect a Burner and restart the Player'.
3rd-Party burning software works without issue, but Vista will not natively
recognize the burn function of these drives. Does anyone know how to enable
the native burn function in Vista?
Old October 14th 07, 03:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

On 14-Oct-2007, =?Utf-8?B?QnJ5YW4=?=
wrote:

It reads CD and DVD discs without issue, but Vista will not recognize a
blank disc in the drive. In addition, the 'Burn' feature of Windows Media
Player prompts me to 'Connect a Burner and restart the Player'.
3rd-Party burning software works without issue, but Vista will not
natively
recognize the burn function of these drives. Does anyone know how to
enable
the native burn function in Vista?

Same problem here, with a Liteon and LG drives, Google seems
to indicate it's a known problem with no solution. Liteon blame
Microsoft for no drivers, Microsoft say it's a Liteon problem,
contact Liteon support.
Vendor says drives are being returned as defective.
I don't care who's to blame, just want to know how to fix it.
Drive reads ok, can be selected as a source drive, but
not as a burn drive, just not there as a destination in
some burning programs, or just keeps saying insert
disk in others, inserting a disk just gets the same
message.
Help.
Old October 15th 07, 07:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jimrx4

If you have serial hard drive(s) try kb930194. Search it first cauze there's
a 32 and 64 bit version.

I have a 32 bit system/serial drives and this fixed my problem.

jimrx4

Old October 17th 07, 12:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bryan

Worked like a charm, thanks! I assume this hotfix will be included in SP1 for
those who are not as proactive about troubleshooting?

Old October 18th 07, 02:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ryan T[_2_]

Thanks a bunch. i have been on the phone with MS support for 2 weeks trying
to fix this problem and your solution worked!!! Amazing that the MS support
staff a unaware of their own fixes .