Samsung SH-S203 DVD Burner

Old October 16th 07, 01:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Count

Default Samsung SH-S203 DVD Burner

Vista Home Premium

I just got a new Samsung SH-S203 DVD burner from Newegg. Can't find
drivers. Any help would be appreciated. My system doesn't seem to
recognize this unit.

Samsung site does not seem to know this unit.

FRED

Old October 16th 07, 01:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter

S203B or S203N? Samsung Canada has the firmware on their website.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/pr...e=FM&language=

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

Old October 16th 07, 01:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter

P.S. You don't need drivers per se, Vista already has those, if you need
software then it must have come with Nero or similar surely?

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

Old October 16th 07, 02:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rob[_2_]

"Count" wrote in message
Vista Home Premium

I just got a new Samsung SH-S203 DVD burner from Newegg. Can't find
drivers. Any help would be appreciated. My system doesn't seem to
recognize this unit.

Samsung site does not seem to know this unit.

FRED

Hi,

You don't need drivers to install the burner. Windows will automatically
install it for you.

Is there power to the unit? Have you looked in BIOS to see if it's visible
there, if not then enable it. What shows in Device Manager? Any yellow
exclamations? What about your IDE/ATAPI controller drivers are they up to
date? What version of Windows do you have?

Samsung website is showing 2 variations for the SH-S203 which one is yours?
N or B

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/pr...e=UM&language=

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

Old October 16th 07, 02:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob Knowlden

I have an SH-203B in my system (Vista 64 Home Premium).

It uses drivers included with Vista.

Is the drive detected in your BIOS?

Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

Old October 16th 07, 08:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Count

Hi All:

Thank you all for your assistance.

This drive is becoming a horror show.

Turns out there was a disk with this drive. Problem is that this disk seems
to have been made for an engineer adept at decryption. In any case, I
finally got to the point where I could download the drivers.
http://samsung-odd.com/
You know when you get the screen where it says Open with OR Save to disk.
Got the screen, but for either option the OK button doesn't light up, so I
cant download. Any advice. (other than "give up on computers" of course).

FRED

"Count" wrote in message
Vista Home Premium

I just got a new Samsung SH-S203B DVD burner from Newegg. Can't find

Old October 16th 07, 11:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter

It's not drivers that you need, or are what's on that website. The drivers
are already included with Vista. Firmware and the Live Update software are
what I think you are talking about. I wouldn't buy stuff from Newegg if
that's the problem they give you.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

Old October 16th 07, 11:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rob[_6_]

"Count" wrote in message
Hi All:

Thank you all for your assistance.

This drive is becoming a horror show.

Turns out there was a disk with this drive. Problem is that this disk
seems to have been made for an engineer adept at decryption. In any case,
I finally got to the point where I could download the drivers.
http://samsung-odd.com/
You know when you get the screen where it says Open with OR Save to disk.
Got the screen, but for either option the OK button doesn't light up, so I
cant download. Any advice. (other than "give up on computers" of
course).

FRED

Hi,

It's just as well the OK button is greyed out. You DON'T require drivers to
install the drive. Listen to the advice you are being given. The only
software you will get from Samsung's site are manuals or Firmware and I
wouldn't mess around with Firmware as you obviously don't know what your
doing.

Follow the advice already given or have someone else install the drive for
you.

Rob

Old October 16th 07, 02:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Count

Hi All:

Special thanks to Peter, Rob and Bob.

Problem solved. It was a firmware update. I contacted Samsung and they
pointed me to the proper files. I took it from there.

To Rob:

I'm not a nit wit (half wit perhaps), This was my first time with firmware
problems. I simply needed some guidance.

Thanks again,
FRED

Old October 16th 07, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rob[_6_]

"Count" wrote in message
Hi All:

Special thanks to Peter, Rob and Bob.

Problem solved. It was a firmware update. I contacted Samsung and they
pointed me to the proper files. I took it from there.

To Rob:

I'm not a nit wit (half wit perhaps), This was my first time with firmware
problems. I simply needed some guidance.

Thanks again,
FRED

lol no worries mate, be careful with those firmware updates though. Firmware
updates usually only apply if you are having problems with media. A firmware
upgrade is not usually required just to install the drive on Windows.
Strange but good to see you got there in the end.

Rob