motherboard upgrade

Old October 21st 07, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Craig008

Default motherboard upgrade

i am looking at upgrading my motherboard to allow other upgrades to be done,
mostly graphics, now my question is what precutions should i take, do need to
make a boot disc ands should i be prepred to reinstall everything and phone
microsoft for a new product key. i am currently running vista ultimate 64 bit
edition
--
grapes
Old October 21st 07, 07:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_2_]

Do a clean install and be prepared to activate over the phone. Don't forget
to save all important stuff before you start the changeover.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Old October 21st 07, 10:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

I will second Mike's sage advice - clean install. Trying to force Windows
to recognize new hardware after a swap may or may not work, or even worse,
may appear to work for a while and then become unstable and cause the loss
of data.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old October 22nd 07, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dfrey1969

You can't reactivate Vista with a different motherboard and video card if you
have only an OEM copy though right? Because I'm contemplating doing the same
thing, but since my copy of Vista Business is an OEM edition, I'm going to
have to buy at a minimum Home Premium, right?

Old October 30th 07, 08:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Craig008

sorry its been a while been a working, i am not using OEM vista just an
upgrade version so i will have to install XP first, my hard drive is in the
procces of dying now (never gonna buy another cheap drive) so i will have to
a back up/clone and take it from there
--
grapes