Emergency shut down during power cut

Old October 22nd 07, 12:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Christopher R. Lee

Default Emergency shut down during power cut

Hello,

I have an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), but when there is a power cut
it doesn't always leave me enough time to shut down the computer properly,
even when Vista hasn't decided to update itself during the shutdown
sequence.

UPSs come with software that's designed to take control automatically, but
as I can't afford to buy a new one for each new operating system, I havn't
looked to see if there is a model that shuts down Vista in a reasonably
short time.

Does Vista have any kind of emergency shutdown facility, or is it designed
exclusively for Californians?

Regards

Old October 22nd 07, 12:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke

Christopher R. Lee wrote:
Hello,

I have an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), but when there is a power
cut it doesn't always leave me enough time to shut down the computer
properly, even when Vista hasn't decided to update itself during the
shutdown sequence.

UPSs come with software that's designed to take control automatically,
but as I can't afford to buy a new one for each new operating system, I
havn't looked to see if there is a model that shuts down Vista in a
reasonably short time.

Does Vista have any kind of emergency shutdown facility, or is it
designed exclusively for Californians?

You don't need to buy a new UPS for each new operating system unless
your UPS is incredibly old and/or from a unknown mftr. If your UPS is
made by one of the big guys - APC, Belkin, Tripplite - they will have
updated software on their websites. Go there and download the software,
after making sure it is compatible with Vista. Then you can control how
your computer shuts down during a power outage.

I don't understand what Californians have to do with this subject at all.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Old October 22nd 07, 01:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

If you have an APC UPS, here is a download link for their PowerChute Personal
Edition v2.1.1 for Vista:

http://www.apcc.com/tools/download/s...swfam=129&tsk=

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old October 22nd 07, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Computer & Sound System Tech

make sure the battery is not losing it's charge and your load isn't too much
for it

--
Licensed Boating Capt. Jonathan Perreault
http://www.AllAboutGames.BraveHost.com

Best Comments From Users:
Vista is satan's way to bring hell to earth. -Me

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Web

No Matter The Problem Even With Linux, It's Microsoft's And Windows's
Faults -Everyone

Old October 22nd 07, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Christopher R. Lee

I bought mine in a local hypermarket, but unusually for that sort of retail
outlet it's manufactured locally (saves CO2 transporting heavy stuff across
the Atlantic/Pacific, I suppose).

The firm is Infosec, who make very good stuff. However, like many suppliers
they don't yet have a Vista driver for this model. Also, since they are more
geared up for big industrial installations than home applications, the
interface is RS232, which is still standard in industry and laboratories and
will be for a long time to come.

I suppose I could buy a RS232 card or USB converter.

But my point is really that it should be possible to shut down an OS cleanly
and quickly by means of some kind of panic button/icon. Ideally (some
hope...), the PC should have a button (like the old reset button) that can
be activated by the user or the UPS, and read by the OS without any
proprietary UPS software.

software designers need to be aware that in many parts of the world power
consumption and power outages are a limiting factor for the use of
computers, and big UPSs cost money. The same arguments are valid for
uninterruptible broadband access, but that's another story.

Regards

Old October 22nd 07, 05:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

You have to size the battery capacity of the UPS with the electrical load
you have applied to the UPS. I get a good 30 minutes of battery backup time
when there is a power failure. You either have an almost dead battery or
your UPS is under the capacity you really need.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Old October 22nd 07, 05:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rojo Habe

"Christopher R. Lee" wrote in message

when there is a power cut it doesn't always leave me enough time to shut
down the computer properly

How long is not enough time? Minutes or seconds?

The fastest shutdown sequence would probably be to hibernate. This dumps
the entire contents of memory to your hard drive and then switches off.
It's what laptops do when the battery dies. Go into Power Options in the
Control Panel, click "Choose what the power buttons do" and then set either
the power button or the sleep key (whichever comes to hand quickest in an
emergency) to Hibernate.

The reason I asked how long is that it isn't instant. It takes about forty
seconds on my system. If that's too long then obviously I haven't helped!

Sleep is quicker than Hibernate but don't be tempted by this as I believe it
doesn't power off completely.

Old October 22nd 07, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Christopher R. Lee

"Rojo Habe" a écrit dans le message de

"Christopher R. Lee" wrote in message

when there is a power cut it doesn't always leave me enough time to
shut down the computer properly

How long is not enough time? Minutes or seconds?

The UPS starts beeping as soon as the power is off, then it becomes more and
more inistent. As usual with these things there's no indication how much
time I really have.

The fastest shutdown sequence would probably be to hibernate. This dumps
the entire contents of memory to your hard drive and then switches off.
It's what laptops do when the battery dies.

I should have thought of that; in a properly engineered system, a
non-portable PC would "know" it has a UPS, and also be able to detect a
mains power outage.

Go into Power Options in the Control Panel, click "Choose what the power
buttons do" and then set either the power button or the sleep key
(whichever comes to hand quickest in an emergency) to Hibernate.

Thanks, I'll try that.

The reason I asked how long is that it isn't instant. It takes about
forty seconds on my system. If that's too long then obviously I haven't
helped!

If it's that short, why don't PCs have a small battery built-in as in a
portable? At least, as far as I'm aware you can't buy a battery like that.
For this idea to work, M$ would have to think of another way of
automatically installing their updates. This should not be done at shut-down
time, since when a user tells a computer to switch off it should do just
that, within a specified time limit. A side effect of current practice
encourages is that users tend to leave equipment not totally shut down,
which raises economy and safety issues.

Old October 22nd 07, 10:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

A small battery, as that in a portable, would last a pitifully short amount
of time in a desktop. You see how heavy a UPS is.

90% of the weight is the battery that is large enough to be used for a
desktop.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban