Using COM Port as Keyboard input

Old October 24th 07, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JCameron

Default Using COM Port as Keyboard input

I have a Serial Barcode reader I would like to connect to my COM port 1.
How do I configure my COM port such that any received characters are treated
like keyboard input to whatever application I currently have active?

Thank you in advance.
Old October 24th 07, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JCameron

PS. This is a Win @K system, not Vista
Old October 25th 07, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, JCameron.

Then you really should be posting this to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,
not in this Vista newsgroup.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)

Old October 25th 07, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message JCameron
wrote:

PS. This is a Win @K system, not Vista

Then why are you posting in a Vista group?

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old October 25th 07, 11:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RK

JCameron wrote:

How do I configure my COM port such that any received characters are treated
like keyboard input to whatever application I currently have active?

They will newer be treated like Keyboard input, while COM-port is quite
different hole in your PC than PS/2 port.

So abandon Notepad. The right application to capture data that comes
from COM-port is Hypercom or some other telecommunication tool.

....yeah, yeah, yeah, not a Vista probelm at all.. I know
Old October 25th 07, 01:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JCameron

Thank you!
I would have liked to post this on a win2K area, but I went to Windows and
then Community, and looked for a Windows 2000 discussion group, but I could
only find Vista. Microsoft gives no indication of how to get to the area you
suggest.

Old October 25th 07, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JCameron

Thanks for your response but just "Capturing Input" is not the goal here.
I have a Barcode scanner plugged into the serial port. and I need it to have
its data go into one of three inhouse applications that users use, one of
which is a web-app.

Old October 25th 07, 02:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, JCameron.

Yeah, I get lost in that Communities maze, too. That's one of the reasons
that I - and most of the experienced users I know - prefer to use a
newsreader application, like Outlook Express or Windows Mail or the
still-in-beta Windows Live Mail that I'm using now.

Click he

That one click should (unless you are blocked by something like a corporate
firewall): Start Outlook Express (if you are running Win2K or WinXP) or
Windows Mail (if you were running Vista); create a News Account for the
Microsoft public news server (which is free and does not require a logon);
subscribe you to the Win2K hardware NG; and download the 300 newest headers
from there and display the newest one for you.

From there, you can read a few messages to get the feel for what you see.
Then you can click Tools | Options to customize OE/WM/WLM to suit your own
preferences. Click Newsgroups to see a list of all the NGs on that server,
including this one: microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices. Just
type "2000" or "2k" into the search box at the top to see all those for
Win2K (nearly 100, about half in English). Subscribe to as many as you
like.

The messages that you will see are exactly the same ones that you see in
Communities, just arranged differently. In other words, that Vista hardware
NG will bring you right back to here and you will see your posts and this
message. ;)

Try it. I think you'll like it!

RC

Old October 29th 07, 02:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
code39man

Hi There,
it seems to me you need to use the accessability options to do this
with the serial barcode scanner.
have a look at our tutorial on the subject.

http://www.gripon.com.au/?gripon=tut...scannerwindows
Hope it helps you out.

Cheers
Ces