Old April 1st 09, 03:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Default POST Error (Phoenix BIOS)

You have no way of knowing if you had a surge (that can last for only micro
seconds). What affects one electronic device may not affect others. You do
not necessarily lose everything in your home. There may also be no visible
sign of physical damage (most usual).

What is to say that your M/B has not just failed, or that you may have done
something during your upgrade that has not caused the problem?

There is not a long time tech out there who will not say that he has never
done something that has taken out a motherboard - at least once. I have
changed hundreds and have killed 2 (which I eat).

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"merkat106" wrote in message

I have updated an HP Media Center computer that I have replaced
everyhting EXCEPT the mobo and case.

Everything was working fine until the post error began.

The POST error: one short beep followed by one long beep, looping until
I turn the computer off. I tried replacing the RAM, pulling out all of
the PCI cards etc.

The computer runs a Phoenix BIOS modified by HP. The mobo is an Asus
built HP board:M2N68-LA (Narra2). I researched the error a bit and came
to the conclusion that the motherboard went bad. There have been no
surges & no visible damage to the board.

I want to know why a mobo does this for no apparent reason.

--
merkat106

Mer Hathaway,
A+ Certified &
Former in-store Circuit City firedog PC tech