Old April 3rd 09, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
merkat106

Default POST Error (Phoenix BIOS)

Clark;1007694 Wrote:
merkat106 wrote:
I have updated an HP Media Center computer that I have replaced
everyhting EXCEPT the mobo and case.

Everything was working fine until the post error began.

The POST error: one short beep followed by one long beep, looping

until
I turn the computer off. I tried replacing the RAM, pulling out all

of
the PCI cards etc.

The computer runs a Phoenix BIOS modified by HP. The mobo is an Asus
built HP board:M2N68-LA (Narra2). I researched the error a bit and

came
to the conclusion that the motherboard went bad. There have been no
surges & no visible damage to the board.

I want to know why a mobo does this for no apparent reason.

I suppose you have gone through the steps at the following site:

'HP and Compaq Desktop PCs*-* BIOS Beep Codes and Error Message
Descriptions*'
(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...reg_R1002_USEN)

What did you change originally just prior to the failure?

Have you tried unplugging the power supply? Have you checked all the
motherboard connections, especially things like CPU fans? Did you
loose
a screw or some type of hardware, maybe something is shorting out a
connection.

Does this motherboard have built in Video, and if so can you add a
video
card?

Clark

I have gone through all the steps listed on the HP site, and yes, I
have checked all connections, RAM etc.

Mobo still made the same POST error. Looked that up again, and it does
say troubleshoot/replace mobo.

I replaced mobo with new Gigabyte mobo.

--
merkat106

Mer Hathaway,
A+ Certified &
Former in-store Circuit City firedog PC tech